I don't get Live Earth

Started by Lise, Jul 07 07 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Sportsdude wrote:
  P.C. wrote:
I think the 'normal citizens' who could 'start something' would be children. Nothing would speak louder to me on this issue, than todays children.......

This is the reason why celebrities are used. My generation, generation Y is not political. They've been depoliticialized and are now [/b]apolitical . We simply don't have the passion our parents had with causes. We don't care. We've become commercialized to the point that as Kennedy said "What can you do for your country" its now "I don't care I rather care about Angelina Jolie and Paris Hilton."  We're caught up in celebrity as its somehow the 'ultimate american dream'.  So we somehow respect celebrity bimbos more then people that are actually in charge. Therefore these organizers use celebrities because that's who my generation listens to, sadly.

Instead of kids growing up with the mindset "I want to change the world and make it a better place." Its now become "I want to be famous!" "I want to be rich!"

They say about politics and societial issues 'well I don't really care' or 'I never was interested' but then get angry about the way things are but never do anything about it. Almost anarchism of the lazy where they care about individual petty problems and not societies problems as whole. Hence the tag of my generation as the "me" generation and I think its well deserved.

The generation or young people as a whole simply don't care, which is a shame because democracy gives people the power. It would be like somebody handing you a thousand dollars and you go "nah not interested". Or keys to the kingdom and you go "not interested".

That's why people use celebrities because those are the 'trustworthy' people that the young kids look up to.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

This is the reason why celebrities are used. My generation, generation Y is not political.

I don't deny that what you are saying may be true for some...but I think you're grossly underestimating your generation.  The very reason I suggest 'using' children for this task, is because it ISN'T political.....not EVERYTHING is.  There IS no political agenda when you hear a child's plea.  It's a common bond.....we all have sisters and brothers or neices and nephews.  

It's less about your generation than it is about ours.  It isn't political that we have given in to demands for material possessions....it isn't political that we've passed on a lifestyle of wastefulness.....it isn't political that we have become neglectful in teaching values.

They've been depoliticialized and are now[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"] [/SPAN][/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][/SPAN]apolitical . We simply don't have the passion our parents had with causes. We don't care. We've become commercialized to the point that as Kennedy said "What can you do for your country" its now "I don't care I rather care about Angelina Jolie and Paris Hilton."  We're caught up in celebrity as its somehow the 'ultimate american dream'.  So we somehow respect celebrity bimbos more then people that are actually in charge. Therefore these organizers use celebrities because that's who my generation listens to, sadly.

I think you should try really hard to stop saying 'we'.....because I know more young people who care very deeply about social issues than young people who don't.  It isn't a new concept to idolize celebrity....it's been around for generations.  (although it does seems to be a new trend to start viewing so many of them as philosophers)

Instead of kids growing up with the mindset "I want to change the world and make it a better place." Its now become "I want to be famous!" "I want to be rich!"

Again.....a gross generalization.

They say about politics and societial issues 'well I don't really care' or 'I never was interested' but then get angry about the way things are but never do anything about it. Almost anarchism of the lazy where they care about individual petty problems and not societies problems as whole. Hence the tag of my generation as the "me" generation and I think its well deserved.

The generation or young people as a whole simply don't care, which is a shame because democracy gives people the power. It would be like somebody handing you a thousand dollars and you go "nah not interested". Or keys to the kingdom and you go "not interested".

On the contrary, I find todays 'kids' to be far more soically aware than they ever were.

You seem to be trying to explain this to me as if I'm hopelessly out of touch.  A hopeless optimist maybe......lol....but not out of touch.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

LOL, I hope I'm wrong in my generalizations but so far the kids I've run into represent my generalizations. I wish I was an optimist.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Devil

Were there any good performers? I haven't had my TV on since last Thursday.

It seems like one of those things where the cause may cancel out the intentions?

Examples:

People buying fake Christmas trees because they think it is better for the environment. The trees cut for Christmas are harvested for that reason, also, they are spacing for bigger trees. Also, is there not a factory out their pumping out death into the atmosphere so a fake tree can be made? This is just an example of how people jump on the bandwagon for a cause, without really thinking it through first.

Like recycling itself...how much water does it use for the recycling process? Is that much water usage to recycle tin, cardboard, paper, glass, etc., really worth it? Not to dismay the recycling issue, but water is the most important thing on the planet.

Just a thought, really think about these environmental causes, before jumpiung on the bandwagon. Look in your soul, and you will see what the right thing to do is.