Absolutely, people need to stop saying...

Started by stretchedout, Jun 26 07 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

stretchedout

"absolutely" in every sentence when they are selling something.

Can she wear those jeans with that t-shirt?  "Absolutely... absolutely!"

Are you sure?  "Absolutely!"

It is rampant, the use of this word in the US media!  Please stop now absolutely!

OMG a woman being interviewed on TV has said "absolutely" in response to the last three questions where a simple "yes" would have been sufficient.

Suggestion:  if you must use this word for emphasis, do so sparingly.  When you use it every minute or two it becomes meaningless... absolutely!      
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Schadenfreude

"OMG a woman being interviewed on TV has said "absolutely" in response to the last three questions where a simple "yes" would have been sufficient."

You, who uses OMG, is watching a TV show where they are talking about wearing a t-shirt with jeans, and you are bitching about the way someone replies to a question?

You need to turn off the TV, put down the bonbons, and get out of the house.

You have this desire to bitch about everything. Getting out and getting a life will help this desire to wane.

At the absolute least, stop watching those gossipy, what not to wear shows and switch it to something like the Discovery Channel.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

observer

Actually, he makes a good point.  Why say a four syllable word when one will do?  Reminds me of people who say "utilize" when use is just fine.  Hey, isn't this forum a place to sound off?  Looking at the stats looks like Schwhatever needs to get off his ass - that's a lot of posting!  

purelife

They should have used the word "Fantabulous!"  The word "absolutely" is so old skool, last year!  OMG!

Gopher

We can do without 'awesome' as well, it devalues the real meaning of the word.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

weird al

For sure, I'm absolutely on the same page with deep-sixing these hackneyed cliches. OMG it's awesome that it's finally being seen to, srsly. I mean, rilly.

purelife

Another phrase that I would like some people to stop saying is "Do you know what I mean?  "Do you understand?"  Yes, in that condescending tone!

stretchedout

Schadenfreude wrote:
 "OMG a woman being interviewed on TV has said "absolutely" in response to the last three questions where a simple "yes" would have been sufficient."

You, who uses OMG, is watching a TV show where they are talking about wearing a t-shirt with jeans, and you are bitching about the way someone replies to a question?

You need to turn off the TV, put down the bonbons, and get out of the house.

You have this desire to bitch about everything. Getting out and getting a life will help this desire to wane.

At the absolute least, stop watching those gossipy, what not to wear shows and switch it to something like the Discovery Channel.  ------------------------------------------------------

Bro, I take it you are an ass by your handle.  A lot of negative assumptions you seem to make.  The TV was on low volume and only on because of the news program which preceeded some show - I was eating and on the computer.  If fruit is bonbons then so be it!  Change only occurs when it starts at the grass roots level - do you understand what I am suggesting here?  "So go back to your cars, your bars, your massage parlors... I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine!"

tenkani

Dave: Come in.

Bruce: I came as soon as I ascertained you needed to see me, sir.

Dave: Sit down, Williams.

Bruce: [sits] What is it, sir?

Dave: There have been some complaints about your use of language on the docks.

Bruce: If this is about yesterday, sir, yes I did use a few blue words, a few cuss words, but as soon as I ascertained that the mix up had been corrected --

Dave: Noo, Williams, it's not your swearing that I'm getting complaints about; it's the fact that use the word "ascertain" too much.

Bruce: Really?

Dave: Yes, apparently you use it an average of two to three- hundred times, daily.

Bruce: Well, I do, but so...other...few words...fit.

Dave: Well, it's driving the men crazy.

Bruce: Who's complaining, sir? Is it Sanchez?

Dave: Noo, it's not Sanchez. It's--it's the older men, the ones nearing retirement.

Bruce: Sir, I ascertain that these men are just jealous of my command of the...English...uh language.

Dave: Well, perhaps. But, I suggest just to keep things running smoothly down at the docks that you humor me by limiting yourself to these four work-related phrases: [reads them off a paper] Good morning fellas; Hand me that thing; Boy, this work's hard; Guys, break's over.

Bruce: Sir, I ascertain--

Dave: Ah.

Bruce: -- that it's their problem. They're just jealous of me. It's my right to ascertain things. You should talk to them about their being upset about my...ascertaination.

Dave: Look, I was young once; and, whatever you do in the privacy of your home, with your good lady wife, well that's your business. But, when it starts to slow work down on the docks, then it becomes my business.

Bruce: I ascertain--

Dave: If you don't back off that word, you'll be looking for a new job -- comprendez-vous?

Bruce: I...asc--

Dave: Unh-uh.

Bruce: ah--

Dave: Mmm-mm.

Bruce: ah--

Dave: Nn-nn.

Bruce: Asc--

Dave: N-nuh-no.

Bruce: Asc -- asc--

Dave: Nooo-no-no-no.

Bruce: I asc--

Dave: Mm-mm-mm-mm.

Bruce: Cer--

Dave: No.

Bruce: tuh--

Dave: Uh-uh. Good morning fellas; hand me that thing; boy, this work's hard; guys, break's over.

Bruce: I asc--

[Dave shoves the paper in his face. Bruce grabs it with disgust.]

Bruce: [pouting] Boy, this work's hard.

Dave: There ya go! Good boy! Now, get the hell out of my office.

[Bruce gets up to go.]

Dave: Glad we had the chance to delineate our little problem.

[Twinkley music sounds out the word "delineate" dances around the screen.]

Bruce: [to himself, trying the word out] Duh-lynn-e-ate. Duh-lynn-e-ate. Sir, I promise I'll never use that...other word ever again. [to himself] Duh-lynn-e-ate.

[Dave eyes him skeptically, as Bruce continues trying the word.]

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

That's absolutely awesome tenkani....you know what I mean?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

tenkani

I have ascertained your meaning, absolutely!

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Schadenfreude

Bro, I take it you are an ass by your handle.  A lot of negative assumptions you seem to make.  The TV was on low volume and only on because of the news program which preceeded some show - I was eating and on the computer.  If fruit is bonbons then so be it!  Change only occurs when it starts at the grass roots level - do you understand what I am suggesting here?  "So go back to your cars, your bars, your massage parlors... I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine!"

Sis, I take it you are mentally challenged by your handle.

A lot of excuses there sunshine.

"The volume was low."

"I was watching some other show."

"I was actually on the computer."

"It wasn't bonbons."

To sound just like you, you need to stop telling other people what to do.

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

stretchedout

Schadenfreude wrote:

Sis, I take it you are mentally challenged by your handle.

A lot of excuses there sunshine.

"The volume was low."

"I was watching some other show."

"I was actually on the computer."

"It wasn't bonbons."

To sound just like you, you need to stop telling other people what to do.

[/DIV]
 I should have known better than to explain - you be the beatch!  Now go outside and have another smoke!

Schadenfreude

People, especially white guys, need to stop pretending to be bad ass gangstas and using the word "beatch".

[img id=img style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid" alt="TinyPic image" src="http://i11.tinypic.com/4uix24y.jpg" border=0]

pitbullca.bc

I think that is actually BIATCH schady!  And...I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on that one!

LMAO!