Baking Question: Flour

Started by Lise, Jun 25 07 04:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Got a quick question about baking. Does anyone know if there's a difference between self-raising flour and all-purpose flour? I used both in my baking recipe for both. I don't see any difference but I wonder if I should really follow the instructions afterall?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sarah_Belly_Poo

Self raising flour has not baking powder added to it, thus does not raise on its own. The only thing you might find with mixing the two is that whatever you are making may not raise as much as you like.

It should not make any difference though :-)

If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail.

Russ

dont do it!!!

:)

I really have nothing to add here cause I have no clue what you are talking about
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

[FONT size=1]uhm, me two....that's why I didnt' respond....[/FONT]    

observer

don't use flour - there are better ways to make stuff

Michel

*Music in the background* Super-Gwailo !!!

Not sure if this help, but here's what I found :

All-purpose flour : Flour made from a blend of hard or soft wheats suitable for all cookery except the finest cakes

Self-raising flour : "Self-raising" flour is simply one that contains a leavening agent, and is identical to plain flour with salt and baking powder added. The advantage of self-raising is that the agents are thoroughly homogenized with the flour to obtain baking uniformity.  

P.C.

there is definitely a difference in the flours< but more importantly a difference in the end result>

bread flour for bread< cake and pastry flour for cakes and pastry> semolina flour for pastas etc>

i never substitute one for the other< and when i have been stuck and have subbed in >>>the  results are never the best>

i have a friend who couldn"t figure out why her bread never turned out as well as mine and asked me to go over it step by step>  she swore she used exactly the same ingredients as i did>  as it turned out she was substituting becel for butter>  the high water content in becel (a measley one a half teaspoons) was all it was that was making her bread like a brick>  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Thanks, everyone. I think I may keep the two flours around for just in case. Bless points awarded.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.