Canada Day/Independance Day Traditions

Started by Devil, Jun 22 07 08:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil

Anyone do anything special for these holiday? Any traditions?

In Canada, it is usually a pretty tame celebration, usually just another "long weekend". You might see the odd Canadian flag around?  If not camping, I end up just working on home projects around the house with a few beers involved. Hopfully some meat on my BBQ.

When I was in California once for July 4th, I seen enough fireworks to heat a small country. It was amazing! And they partied, hard! Well into the morning of July 5th.

Lil Me

I'm gonna be in the U.S. on July 1 this year.  I wonder if I should bring a tacky Maple Leaf shirt to wear....  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Happy Canada Day to you, Dev.  It's a different world east of the Rockies.  I miss it sometimes.  *sniff*

[a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cmph9yFoY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cmph9yFoY[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

youtube is blocked at work.

I am not sure what you mean? It's colder east of the Rockies? flatter? drier? further from beautiful Seattle?

i will have to check it at home later.

Cheers!

Sportsdude

Devil wrote:
youtube is blocked at work.
I am not sure what you mean? It's colder east of the Rockies? flatter? drier? further from beautiful Seattle?
i will have to check it at home later.
Cheers!
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Trudeau came up with that line about the Rockies I believe. Canada ends at the Rockies, west of the rockies its a whole new world.

For example Vancouver doesn't judge itself against Canadian cities but Seattle, Portland, and San Fran.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Devil

Actually, those cities are kind of on the same page in a lot of ways, yet a distant netherworld in other ways.  

Sportsdude

doesn't bother me though, I love mountains and nature.  

Devil

Vancouver is a wee bit of a drive to a place where there is quiet nature and calm mountains. Everything around Vancouver is beautiful, but jammed packed full of humans.

Sportsdude

Devil

It can be. I guess growing up there, I always wanted to go elsewhere. I guess through others eyes that have never been there before, Vancouver is pretty nice.

Still, there may be something around Canada Place, or fireworks here and there, but really, Canada Day is not a huge deal.

kitten

I'm not planning anything special for Canada Day.  It's my regular day off, so I'll likely just putter around the apartment, and have a barbecue later.  (if the rain holds off!)  I'm glad to be living in Canada, but I'm not the sort to wave flags to prove it.  I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else, though.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Devil

I am all for celebrating Canada Day too mind you. I guess that is the Canadian way though. Show our spirit...but not too much!

What great excuse though for hooking up with friends and enjoying food and drink.

Sportsdude

yeah I have more fun on Canada day then the 4th of July. lol
For some reason the 4th just seems really phony now. Seemed really cool as a kid but now its just over kill.

Sometime I'd like to do a Canada day at the Peace Tower. Saw coverage of it on tv (on the net) last year and it looked awesome. CTV did do a story on Vancouver's Canada Day it looked pretty big.

Devil

Haha! One time I had cousins from the US come up and we went camping in the North Okanagan. We went into Kelowna for the day for Canada Day. They did a fireworks show at a park and when it was over, my cuz asked "ok, when do the real fireworks start?". I kind of sheepishly said "yeah..umm, that was it man!".

So, is it really about fireworks though? Although, they are fun to watch. Calgary and Vancouver has awesome International Fireworks competitions.    

Sportsdude

pretty much.
towns spend like half their budget on fire works. Every little suburb here has a big fire work show which is truly pointless. One day Manchester has a big hour fire works display then the next day a mile down the street Ballwin has one, then the next day a mile down the road Ellisville has one. Then another mile down the road Chesterfield has one. It gets really silly.
Then Saint Louis has a big fireworks show for 4 nights for Fair Saint Louis. Which is basically a fair were everyone gets heat stroke on the river front by the arch. One year a tornado came through town and blew everything into the river. LOL!

Then down on the farm they have a tractor parade in jacob ill, (my country stomping grounds). Pretty much it means farmers getting out their 1960's era tractors in 100 degree heat and teens drinking beer.