Text messaging from a computer to a cell phone?

Started by fletcher, Jun 21 07 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

fletcher

I don't have a cell phone but other family members do with FIDO and BELL (Canada).  There must be a free way to text message from my computer to these carriers as my daughter can do it thru Facebook.  I do not want to join Facebook and, even if I did, I assume I would have to add her as a friend therefore being able to view her Facebook page ([FONT size=1]which I would like to be able to do but it is like reading someone else's diary so there are privacy issues there I have to respect[/FONT]).  Does anyone know how or where or have any information on this type of service from computer to cell phone? Or recommend something?  

Something I have wondered about is why can't we text from a land line - yet?  And, why don't cell phone numbers register the name of the caller on land line call displays - yet?  I have noticed lately that some do - perhaps Fido?  

Thanks for any information.

margretli

Depends on what kind of plan they have, they might be charge a 10c fee for recieving text from a web page. I have a Fido plan that include 50 text messages a month, and been told that getting a web based text message will count towards those 50 messages.

Here is Findo's text message thing. Feel out the Fido number, and stuff, and send your message. I asume Bell will have something similar on their wireless web pages too.
[a href="http://www.fido.ca/portal/web2fido/compose.do#sms"]http://www.fido.ca/portal/web2fido/compose.do#sms[/a]

There are other ways to send text messages too. I need to go to a staff meeting now. I will try and post more later.

aka Jing Jing

fletcher

Got an 'Internal Error Message" from that link.  Thanks, tho.  Any info is appreciated.  If Facebook can do it for free, to any carrier, there simply must be a way to do it otherwise.  Fifty messages?  OMG.  

margretli

Hum, go to FIDO.ca and look for a link on its front page after you select a langauge, or simply try again.

I think every carrier has their own web based text message service that's free to use to send. However, most carrier will charge a fee on the recieving end, unless you are sending cell to cell.

I am sure there are other web sites that will allow you to send text messages to cell regardless what carrier the message goes to. I don't know one that will do it for all Canadian carriers, most of these services are only for US.

Hope this doesn't complicate things.

aka Jing Jing

observer

fletcher

Thank you.  It worked.  Sent a text message from the Fido site to my son who is driving to LA and is 3 hours outside of Sacramento and he received it and replied within 15 minutes.  I did not try the reply to my email part but asked him to text my daughter's Bell phone if he received it.  I then tried to send one to my daughter (who is the next room) from the Bell site (10 mins later) and she hasn't received it yet.  Weird.  Maybe I didn't click send?  But, anyway, thank you.  I didn't look at the carrier sites as I just assumed it couldn't be done from them.  If you have messaging options on your cell phone, it is free but I am not sure about the email part.

Sarah_Belly_Poo

All you need to do is download Yahoo! Messenger and add the persons as a contactand include their cellphone number in their details. It has a function that you can send them text messages and they can text back to you. It is free for you. They are charged normal rates.

I use this when in Vancouver with family back home in NZ and have a Fido prepay phone.

If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail.