Warmest Winter in Canada ever recorded

Started by Sportsdude, Mar 14 06 04:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

I wonder what the govt. is going to do about it? Probly nothing. Meanwhile the beatles in B.C. keep eating away the forests because its not getting cold enough in the winter to kill them off.

[DIV id=headline][H2]Hot enough for you?[/H2][/DIV][DIV id=author][P class=source]Canadian Press

[/DIV][DIV id=article style="FONT-SIZE: 100%"][!-- dateline --]Toronto[!-- /dateline --] — Canada is experiencing its warmest winter in recorded history, Environment Canada says.

Between December and February, the country was 3.9 degrees above normal — the warmest winter season since temperatures were first recorded in 1948.

Climatogist Bob Whitewood says it smashed the previous record set in 1987 by 0.9 degrees, and was the kind of season that comes along once every 100 years.

[DIV class="bigbox ad" id=boxR][SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript ads="1"]aPs="boxR";[/SCRIPT][SCRIPT type=text/XXXXscript]var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);[/SCRIPT][/DIV]It was especially balmy in Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories, where temperatures were six to eight degrees above normal.

Mr. Whitewood says the last 10 winters have been warmer than normal and along with this winter reflect a trend that could be explained as global warming.

He says Environment Canada will spend the next year examining the data to see if it's an aberration or evidence of a trend.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

It was certainly lovely here, with the exception of the 28 days of consecutive recorded rainfall.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

CK

Good point about the pine beatles. You should see parts of BC. Up by Williams Lake, even into the Kootenays. Dead trees as fas as the eye can see. Like a bomb went off or something. People complain about cold snaps, a good cold snap would be very healthy for the interior.

Sportsdude

[/DIV]If somebody doesn't do anything the interior will look like Scotland.

Sportsdude

CK

Its not like a forest fire either where the re-growth makes the forest 10 times better over many years.

soapbox

what can be done?

it is a combination of factors beyond our control more or less.

the damage you see in that picture is encouraged from the warm climate and lack of treatment in affcted areas.

if you ask me,these are just the SMALL signs to come.

antartica is melting faster than expected (lost over 200 cubic kilometres last year)

greenland is melting faster than expected (lost 1,500 cubic kilometres last year.)

this will add too much fresh water to the oceans ...this will affect ocean current patterns...some say it will reverse the flows completely.  

Sportsdude

exactly. which is why the interior will end up looking like this:[/DIV](minus the cow)

Sportsdude

They have said the country that will change the most due to global warming is Canada. My generations kids for example living in Vancouver won't worry as much on earthquakes as they will flooding.  Leeves in Richmond and Downtown Vancouver are coming and its only a matter of time.  The Artic is not going to freeze in the North. Polar Bears will have to evolve to land animals. Logging I predict will disappear from places like the interior and van island due to all the trees dying.  

Ottawa's Rideau Canal didn't completely freeze this winter.

soapbox

BC salmon are already showing up in artic river beds and the artic ocean.

this is very wrong.  

CK

Why minus the cow? Huge ranches in parts of the interior!

soapbox

Sportsdude

smithl

[FONT face=Verdana size=2]O Sunshine, where art thou?[/FONT]

[img style="WIDTH: 590px; HEIGHT: 390px" height=548 src="http://www.katkam.ca/pix/20060314/20060314173400.jpg" width=443]

[img style="WIDTH: 595px; HEIGHT: 464px" height=554 src="http://www.katkam.ca/pix/20060314/20060314174900.jpg" width=569]

perpetual

Yups...I remember when I was young...we got neck-high snow drifts that were fantastic for making slides and tunnels...now we're lucky if we get snow to shovel in Saskatchewan...this is not good...because snow = crop moisture for spring seeding....