Best Ever Fish and Chips Recipe

Started by Lise, Jun 20 07 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

By yours truly. I didn't have a deep-fryer but it worked in a pot filled with bubbling oil. I will get a deep-fryer one of these days. Anyways, I made this today, kinda tweek it a bit because my hubby and kid can't have beer in the batter. Seems to work ok.

I posted this on my asianrecipeblog. Anyways, here it is. [A href="http://asianrecipe.blogspot.com/"]http://asianrecipe.blogspot.com/[/A]

[FONT color=#ff0000]Fish and Chips Your Kids will LOVE!

[/FONT]Ingredients for fish and chips
 [UL]
 [LI]4 potatoes (cut into even strips)
 [LI]1 lb fish fillets (cod, pollock even salmon works fine)
 [LI]2/3 cup flour
 [LI]1/2 tsp baking soda
 [LI]1 tbsp vinegar
 [LI]2/3 cup water
 [LI]enough oil for deep-frying
[/LI][/UL]

How to make the best ever fish and chips

[UL]
 [LI]Heat oil in deep fryer
 [LI]Deep fry the potatoes (chips) - put in one at a time so they don't stick together in basket
 [LI]Use a long metal stick or fork to stir to keep them from sticking more
 [LI]Fry till golden brown
 [LI]Drain on paper towel
 [LI]Place potatoes in a single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm in oven
 [LI]Do the rest till you finish with all the chips
 [LI]Cut fish fillets into bite-size pieces
 [LI]PAT DRY with paper towel
 [LI]In small bowl, mix in baking soda with vinegar
 [LI]In a larger bowl, add the flour
 [LI]Slowly add in the water to the flour, whisking as you go
 [LI]Add in baking soda mix and whisk till there are no lumps
 [LI]Dip fish into batter, allow excess to drip off
 [LI]Fry about 4 to 5 pieces at a time (don't use the basket), turning fish once till golden brown
 [LI]Drain on paper towels
 [LI]You can broil the fish and chips in oven for a bit to make them warm and crispy
 [LI]Just before serving, sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt
[/LI][/UL]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

That sounds delish, Lise!  I've been too chicken to deep fry.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

remember when deep frying the turkey don't put it in frozen. tip of the day.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I thought I'd tried every fish and chip batter recipe under the sun.....but I don't think I've tried that one.  Thanks Lise.....I'll give it a try.

*don't waste your money on a deep fryer.  We've had 3......no matter what we've spent on them, they just don't stay hot enough.  The last one we used twice.  If they don't stay hot when you put the food in, they suck up the oil.......not good.  It has to maintain the heat to seal it as soon as the food hits the oil.  I won't get another.  Plus it's one big appliance to have for something you'd probably only use once a month or so.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

I'm getting a major fried food craving now.
 Chicken.
 Fish.
 Chips.
 Frybread (fried bannock)
 Pakoras
 Samosas

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Lise- we like to eat at Mr Pickwick's.  The batter is beer-free (as well as dairy and egg free)  

Lise

Really, PC? Gee. I thought it was a good investment to get a deep fryer. I guess I'll just stick to my pot and possibly get a basket for it. Wonder if there's another alternative to deep fryer.....?

I've never heard of Mr. Pickwick's. Where might I find this place, Lil Me?

Oh man. After the night of eating fish and chips, major heartburn. Don't think I'll be making fish and chips for a while. It also stank the house up for a bit. Heh.[/DIV]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I haven't come across a good deep fryer yet.  I'm thinking you'd probably have to go to a restaurant supply store to get one that is half decent.  Then it would probably be too large and too expensive.  Mind you the last one we got wasn't cheap.....and it still sucks.  I use the sideburner on my bar-b if I'm going to do fish and chips.....keeps the stink outside.

This is the one we have here.....don't get it, it's garbage.....very expensive garbage.  (we've also had a Braun and an Oster......also garbage)

[img style="WIDTH: 188px; HEIGHT: 222px" height=304 src="http://www.samstores.com/_images/products/BDFryer.jpg" width=209]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the advice, PC.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Lise- Mr Pickwick's is on Denman St in the West End.  There's also a smaller shop (mostly take-out) in Marpole- around 70th and Granville.

I just found out Pajo's fish and chips also has no egg in the batter, so I've gotta check that out.  They just opened a new location in the park about a block from me.

P.C.- Restaurant equipment at the auction!!!  Or the outdoor turkey fryer pot?