BC Vacation hot spots

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 19 07 04:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

purelife wrote:
Does anyone know how long is the drive to Kamloops?
 [/div][div]  [a href="http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uewLk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=New+Westminster&1s=BC&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Kamloops&2s=BC&2z=&r=f"]http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uewLk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=New+Westminster&1s=BC&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Kamloops&2s=BC&2z=&r=f[/a][span style="text-decoration: underline;"]

[/span]3 and a half hours[span style="text-decoration: underline;"]
[/span]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Yes, I could've googled mapquest but I wanted to know from someone who actually drove there because mapquest is not always that reliable.  Sorry, should've clarified.

Schadenfreude

I've done it. 3 1/2 hours taking the Coquihalla.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

purelife

Ok, cool.  Thanks SD and Shadey.  

Sportsdude

no probs.
Thanks for the idea of renting a car. d'oh.
Don't they have student rates for skiing? I remember reading somewhere they do.
I want to surf in Tofino first though, but I need a wet suit. lol

Sportsdude

Schadenfreude

One day I'm going to drive out to Harrison and check out the world class sand sculptures.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

purelife

Oh you'll like that Schadey!  They are truly amazing!  

Sportsdude

Kamloops looks awesome.

Schadenfreude

Sportsdude wrote:
Kamloops looks awesome.

What part are you looking at?

I find it rather ugly.

Sportsdude

or am I getting confused with Kelowna. Which ever one has all the wineries.  

Schadenfreude

Kelowna!

North of Kelowna on Hwy 97 is Kalamalka Lake. I have never seen water so turquoise.

The picture below is quite accurate in colour except in person the water is more spectacular.

Schadenfreude

I was driving south on 97 just leaving Vernon. The highway is quite high above the lake and you come around a curve and wow, there it was. It was difficult to drive and stare at the lake at the same time.

Schadenfreude

[FONT color=#0000ff size=4]P.C. I hope you saw this:[/FONT]

Schadenfreude wrote:
P.C. wrote:

Yipes.

That's the cruelest thing you've ever said to me Schad. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c020.gif" border=0]

I'm sorry. [img title=mzmztgxnykdwjbmjozom.gif alt=mzmztgxnykdwjbmjozom.gif src="http://www.tinypic.ca/files/mzmztgxnykdwjbmjozom.gif"]

It was not funny.

Devil

Vernon is cool. Not as plastic and jammed full of tourists in comparison to Kelowna. Kelowna is know for prairie folks puking off the back of houseboats. Mind you, Kelowna can be cool too. I am just bias to Kalamalka Lake since my homies and I have a cabin there.

Kamloops is a good place to gas up and fill up a coffee mug, then keep going.

Some other cool place to check out:

Nelson, Rossland, Kootenay Lake, Kimberley, Christina Lake, Salmon Arm and the Shuswap area, Yoho Park, Well's Gray, Revelstoke and the Arrow Lakes, Ainsworth, Kokanee Glacier Park, White Swan area, anywhere up the Coast, of course, Tofino and the Island.

I think the Coast Mountains kick ars on the Rockies in the summer, but that is just me.

try to avoid Cranbrook! You will probably get stabbed with a broken whiskey bottle if you stay in that burned out town too long.

Avoid Trail, there is a smelter in the middle of the town that used to poison the valley with lead.

Merrit is a country music town, I try to drive fast through there.    

|