Lending money.

Started by P.C., May 08 07 02:50

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Borrowing and lending money.  Has anyone ever been in a position where they want to lend money to a good friend.....but know they will never see it again?  Let's assume we're talking about $1000.00.   I guess the best route would be to give what you can afford as a gift ?  How do people handle this ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

weird al

they want to lend money to a good friend.....but know they will never see it again?

Does the good friend know you will never see it again -

- and still refer to it as a loan?

purelife

It would be charity then.  If I knew that the person could not pay me back, then I'd give them whatever I can, depending on the person and how closely he/she is related to me.  I'd help out as much as possible and I've been in many of these types of situations.  

Cheapskate

Give 'em 10 bucks and a lottery ticket.

Lil Me

You could give it as a gift.  Or, if you think the person would feel bad about accepting it, but you know they really need it- give it anonymously.  Mr LM and I have done that.  You can deposit it into their bank account or slip an envelope full of cash into their home- whatever works.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

LOL cheapskate.  

Yes weird al.  It's under the premise that the money is borrowed as a loan.  And there are always good intentions that the money will be repaid.

i wish

it all depends.  i lent thousands of dollars ($6000 accumulated) to friends that swore they would pay me back.  he quit his job and the other went on a vacation.  one never thanked me.  and said racist things.  the other was only thankful but didn't pay me back because i helped him with his assault case by taking photos of his broken jaw.  

now, i heard about a professor giving a student $100 because the student came to him for help.  what a nice jester.  

but if they claim to pay you back and not pay you back that's two faced.  
"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth, " Albert Einstein.

P.C.

You'd think he would have paid you back double for helping him with his court case.

kitten

I have to question the use of the word "friend", P.C.  A real friend would put you at the top of the list of people to repay.  Do you not think that asking this friend to sign a promissory note with monthly dates for repayment would be a good idea?  If it would cost a friendship then perhaps it wasn't a real friendship to begin with.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

i wish

very good point.  if i didn't load money to my friends, they would probably still be my friends.  ironic.
"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth, " Albert Einstein.