Garage Sale Tips ???

Started by P.C., Apr 21 07 05:45

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Russ

dont do it.

i would suggest like what lil me said. boxes of stuff with 10 bucks for the whole box. books 1 each. irregardless of what they are.. old ones are almost collectables. old kids toys are collectables now. ebay them, or craigslist. Do a search before you list for what others are selling for and make sure that you CHARGE for the shipping.. cause you have to take time to box/wrap/deliver them to the post office wherever they go.

ANY tools lemme know!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Do what Russ? Garage Sale?
Speaking of garage sales, we'll have the biggest one of all time, soon.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

lol Russ.....fellow pack rat.

Don't misread this....I'm certainly not in an 'everything must go' mode.  But there's enough excess to get rid of a ton, so I can keep my good junque.....lol

So far, I've got a cord of books to go.....and equally as many to keep.  I don't keep many paperbacks, I usually pass them along or trade them....so most to go books are 'coffee table books' or home decor and other hobby/special interest type books. (I'm debating on the Harrowsmith mags.  Complete from issue #1 with the binders.....go, stay, go stay....lol)

There may be some tools, Russ.....the old shop will be next weeks project, but I'll be sure to let you know.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

You could also pawn off your stuff on your kids, which is what my parents are trying to do to me.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sawdust

Husbands can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help. You should send him away for the sale.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

P.C.

LOL....Really ?

Does anyone know if this is true?  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]

I think Lil Me says you have to stick around and cook hot dogs.

Sportsdude

Sawdust wrote:
Husbands can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help. You should send him away for the sale.

I think somebody is trying to get off of something. ;)

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
I think Lil Me says you have to stick around and cook hot dogs.
 --
 Yes, definately.  Someone needs to cook, shake margaritas and lead the Conga line.  That's you, Mr Sawdust!

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

*puts in the conga music in the player*  

Russ

Sawdust... Theres mention of a bbq. Stay there, trust me on this.

We had a garage sale a few times.. we will be having another one.. a BIG one when I get back in July again...  Believe me, its better if you dont know. I put out a bunch of stuff and wanted a certain price.. but when it came down to it, I didnt want the crap anymore. So I had my family sell it while I manned the grill. When its gone, its gone.. more room for more stuff and as long as you got SOMETHING for it.. it makes sence somehow.

PS.. Lemme know if you wnat a welder, tire change machine, or somethign similar like that.... I can help you out.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

PS.. Lemme know if you wnat a welder, tire change machine, or somethign similar like that.... I can help you out.

Russ....that's very thoughtful of you, but take that back !  We're trying to get RID of stuff.....lol[/DIV]

Sportsdude

lol Russ is trying to get rid of things, too.

So when's this garage sale?

purelife

Sorry, didn't get the chance to read this entire thread, so I just wanted to say good luck on your sale, PC!  It should be loads of fun and a relief to get rid of some stuff. :))

Lil Me

[p align="center"][font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="4"]GARAGE     SALE[/font][font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]
     [/font][font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2"]Copyright 1999 W. Bruce Cameron  [/font][font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2"][a href="http://www.wbrucecameron.com/"]http://www.wbrucecameron.com/[/a][/font][/p]       [p align="center"] [/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]So that you'll never be tempted to     participate in a "neighborhood garage sale," allow me to explain how they go:[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]Friday night you're up until two in the     morning marking prices on all the junk you're hoping people will buy. At this point you're     almost psychotically optimistic, calculating the total value of your "inventory"     at slightly over twenty-two thousand dollars. In particular, you're hoping to rid yourself     of a hideous lamp constructed from a stars-and-stripes motorcycle helmet like the one     Peter Fonda wore in Easy Rider, and you give it a bargain price of $22. Last year's tag is     still clinging to the chin strap; it reads $18.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]The garage sale is scheduled to begin at     9:00am. At 6:30 a woman awakens you by pounding on your door. "I like to get an early     start," she dimples. When you open the garage door to let her in, there are seven     cars in your driveway. [/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]By 11:30 all you've sold is a T-shirt for     ten cents. Worse, your daughter borrowed twenty bucks so she could go shopping at the     neighbors' garage sales. You mark the motorcycle helmet lamp down to $18.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]At noon you leave the operation in your     son's hands and go inside to get some lunch. A stranger is in your bathroom, trying on     clothes. Another wants to know if you have "any more cake."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]When you return to the garage, you find     your son ecstatic because he has sold a whole set of garden tools-shovel, axe, rake,     spade--for fifty cents each. You sadly advise him that they weren't for sale in the first     place. "I wondered why there were no price tags," he replies. [/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]You look around. "Where's my new     bicycle?" you gasp, horrified. Your son tells you one of the neighbor kids is out     taking it for a "test drive." [/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]A little later one of your neighbors shows     up to see how you're doing. "Hey, this Easy Rider lamp is a hoot!" he chuckles.     "How much?"[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"Since you're a friend, twenty-five     bucks," you gush.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"The tag says eighteen," he     points out.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"Okay, eighteen."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"I'll give you seventy-five     cents."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"Sold!"[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]It's the high point of the day. Around one     there's another rush: Word has gotten out you're selling garden tools for half a buck     each. "I'll give you a dollar for your lawnmower," one shopper suggests. You ask     him to leave. A woman picking through the books you're selling wants to know if you have     anything by Carl Hiassen. When you tell her no, she asks if she can "look     inside." You ask her to leave. When you step into the house a few minutes later, your     son is showing your ties to the man who ate all your cake. "Why don't you check out     some of the other sales," you suggest to both of them.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]Your neighbor calls. "My wife says I     can't keep this lamp," he reports. "I'll have to bring it back."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"All sales are final," you snap.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"Come on, Bruce," he whines.     "You can keep the money."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"If you set foot in my driveway, I'll     call the police," you warn.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]You observe a young man slinking over to     the collection of National Geographics you've priced at a dime apiece. He looks a little     like a thief, and you wonder how fast he's going to be able to run with eighty pounds of     magazines under each arm. "This is my first garage sale, and I'm a little     nervous," he informs you.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"That's okay."[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"I heard on the radio about this guy     who bought what looked like a worthless rock collection, and in it was a sapphire worth     two million dollars," he remarks.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"Oh?" you say politely.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]"You got anything like that?"[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]At 6:00pm the sale is over. It's difficult     to calculate your take for the day because at some point you apparently sold the cash box.     The thought of re-stocking all your stuff back inside the house is too fatiguing, and you     begin transferring it directly to the trash can. Your son bursts in, effusive over some of     the great stuff he's bought. "Look Dad, only three bucks! Now we have a matched     set!" he trumpets, flourishing his prize.[/font][/p]       [font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="3"]It is, of course, the motorcycle helmet     lamp.[/font][/p]  

P.C.

OMG....that's hilarious Lil Me.  I REALLY lol'd.  It sounds very Erma Bombeckish.

I'm only on day 3 of the 'clean sweep', and I took the day off.....hahahahaaaaa

I can see this gets old REAL quick.  (actually I had another job to do)  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c022.gif" border=0]

|