Garage Sale Tips ???

Started by P.C., Apr 21 07 05:45

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Yea...I'm wondering how to handle some of the stuff I would like to sell.  I have a lot of antique furniture, rugs etc.  I know a few things are valuable, but I don't really know how to go about finding out what their actual value IS.  I don't think things like that are a good idea for a garage sale.....but I don't know.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

You're right.  I'd hang onto anything "doubtful".  A lot of antique fairs and community fairs are starting to do the Antiques Roadshow booth where you can line up and have your stuff appraised.

You can also search ebay and find out the going rate for some of these items.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I find eBay a confusing gauge of value on some things.    Vintage stuff is one thing, but antiques are a mystery in their value.  

I have some stuff that I really don't WANT to get rid of, but they're sucking up some valuable real estate.  The 'attic' I referred to, is actually a triangular space running the length of the house on each side.....the result of an A-frame kind of space.  That's IT for storage space.  We have a gi-normous attic, but I've never put anything up there because I thought it would get that 'atticy smell'. (thank gawwwd)

I would LOVE it if Antiques Roadshow came here.  Don't see it happening real quick.....lol

Devil

I would advertise about a week in advance? Not sure though.

I am doing a yard sale at the end of summer. I still have all my boy's baby toys. crib, baby movies etc. Now he is becoming a big boy, that stuff will just collect dust.

Keep us posted how it goes P.C., I will be looking to you for advice (again..)

Lil Me

No more handsome rugrats for you, Dev?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

lol! None in the planning stages anyways.  I would have to say no...but I am not 100% ready to actually say that right now.

P.C.

Will keep you posted Devil.

Having all your kids stuff is one thing, when they're 5 or 6, but I still have a heap o stuff from MY kids, and I can assure you they are a little OLDER than that.  I have a HUGE early Canadiana cradle that takes up SO much space.  I don't know why I've had such a hard time getting rid of it.....lol.  IT'S GOING ! Two SETS of dinning chairs....one set antique, and another really close......you know how much space that takes up? Oy.  The list is endless.

I can't even think about the old shop....UGH.  It's full.....and it's going to be empty.

Books, books, book, books, books, books, books, books, books, books.....and a few more books.  GAAAWWWD.....somebody HELP ME !!!!

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c021.gif" border=0]  

Devil

Good luck with everything. Sounds like a lot..er..a TON of work.

Lil Me

I've been giving my stuff away over the years.  It softens the blow if you know someone else is going to use it.  I've started leaving boxes of kid-related junk on peoples' doorsteps when they're not home.... usually they appreciate it, cuz they can use the tot clothes, preschool puzzles, etc.

I did the grdening thing for a few years (have since given up), but I used to leave tomatoes and zucchini on doorsteps, as well...

P.C.

That's so nice Lil Me. (have I got a recipe for zucchini for YOU !!!)

That IS the thing for me......I just want someone to use this stuff.  Making money is a side issue for the most part.  I don't really care so much about that.  We will have one of the charities pick up the remaining stuff the day after.  There's NO WAY anything is coming back into the house.

Sportsdude

Keep the cradle for the grand kids? lol
My parents still have my rocking horse in the attic which hasn't seen the light of day since '89. lol!

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Why is it always easier to buy than it is to sell?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

lol.....that's a good question Gophie.

Although I have to admit, I have bought a lot of stuff over the years, I've also 'acquired' a lot of stuff too.  With both hubby and I being 'orphans', and both of us with parents who were pack rats......a lot of stuff trickled down.

I also make all kinds of things.....each one with it's own set of tools and material.....add on to that, I have well meaning friends who say "I bet you could make something out of this....here.....oh yeah.....I have 9 of them".

At the risk of being repetitive....I'm overwhelmed.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
  At the risk of being repetitive....I'm overwhelmed.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Awww......thanks SD.

On that note...I'm inspired to carry on.

Later. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/e050.gif" border=0]

|