Garage Sale Tips ???

Started by P.C., Apr 21 07 05:45

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

OK....I have just spent the day hauling endless crap out of the attic space (and any other space one can store crap).....in the attempt to organize myself for a garage sale.  

There are boxes and boxes and even more boxes of fabric.....enough books to start a small library.....dishes, ornaments, small appliances............................................................The biggest problem I'm having is the limited space I have to sort through it.

I'm overwhelmed !!!!!  

I'm sure it will take me at least a week just to haul this stuff out.  

SO....from there....what's next?  How far ahead do you advertise.

Anybody done this who has any advice?    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Good for you, P.C.  The garage sale stuff can really take over the house!  I think you need to just "make a mess" of it while you're sorting.  I usually put up the signs around Wed, if the sale is on Sat/Sun.

If you have time on garage sale day, bring out the BBQ.  You can make a killing selling hot dogs, coffee and freezies.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

If you have time on garage sale day, bring out the BBQ.  You can make a killing selling hot dogs, coffee and freezies.

GOOD IDEA !!!   That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Lil Me

Also, try to bag things up (in clear plastic) and sell by the "lot" so people have to take the good with the bad.  That really gets rid of the junk!  Let me know when your garages sale is, and I'll notify my inlaws.  They can never resist a "garbage sale" (not implying that your stuff is garbage!)  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

We're gunning for 2 weeks from now.  I have a neighbour who wants to combine them.....so she's been putting the screws to me.  I could probably use another week, but.....on the other hand, sometimes I need a kick in the pants to get on it.....especially when it's something I really don't want to do.

P.C.

Also, try to bag things up (in clear plastic) and sell by the "lot" so people have to take the good with the bad.

I like this tip too !  Good thinking.

Lil Me

Oh, you'll have fun once the actual sale starts.  The people watching is always hilarious.  

Sportsdude

Put a sign on the cat that says he's not for sale.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Lil Me......this is absolutely unbelievable.  How did this HAPPEN ?  You're talking to someone who still has her first etch-a-sketch...my kids favourite first toys.....artwork they did in kindergarten...a ton of stuff from my parents place when they passed on.   I'm one of those people that has a hard time letting go of things.  (but it feels SO good when I do)

I buy clothes....wear them 2 or 3 times and then I either get bored with them, or I decide they don't look as good on me as I thought they did...LOL  I must have 40 dress jackets/blazers.

My thinking is, if I get rid of a heap-o-junk....then I'll have the space to keep the frivolous stuff that I want to hang on to.....lol  

P.C.

Put a sign on the cat that says he's not for sale.

I don't think that'll be necessary....he has a tendency to think he's a rottweiler when strangers come around.....lol

Sportsdude

I never throw things away.
Heck when my mother would pack my lunch when I was little for field trips I'd eat everything or I'd get depressed if I didn't. Because my mother cares about me.

I'm the same way with clothes. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Are you trying to tell me you got a whack of old lunches stored somewhere?

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
 My thinking is, if I get rid of a heap-o-junk....then I'll have the space to keep the frivolous stuff that I want to hang on to.....lol
  --
  Exactly.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Make some space, then you have the summer to cruise around and buy OTHER PEOPLE'S JUNK.  LOL.

If you haven't worn something for a year, chances are you never will.  Toss it.

I got brutal with my closet and did a major clear-out.  I tried on everything that I hadn't worn for a while.  If something didn't fit properly, I got rid of it.

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
Are you trying to tell me you got a whack of old lunches stored somewhere?
 --
 You could be potentially wealthy if you find any sandwiches that look like Elvis or major religious figures.

Lil Me

P.C.- I wouldn't garage sale anything rare or extremely old (ie vintage Etch A Sketch) .  I'd hang onto it and ebay it separately.  

|