How Many Languages Do You Know?

Started by Lil Me, Apr 19 07 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

How many languages do you have a working knowledge of (not expert fluency)?  And what are they?

Just English and French for me.  (Chinese?  heh.  I can cuss and order food in an accent that's all wrong.)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I speak english and can understand french and spanish but not very good at speaking it.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

RejdzegejnstdwashM

English, some spanish words and of course Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian....hahaha totally same languages in three different countries; Slovenian and Macedonian are slightly different than my language but pretty the same.    

Sportsdude

I come from a german-hungarian family right off the boat so I do know some german  

RejdzegejnstdwashM

Sportsdude wrote:
I come from a german-hungarian family right off the boat so I do know some german  
   german is tough for me. Did you know that they spell numbers in reverse? like: twenty five...they pronounce five twenty! And Hungarian!!!!!!!! that's so hard language that I can't even understand a single word!!!!

Russ

French

Engligh

engrish

And some German.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lil Me

Russ wrote:
engrish
 --

LOL

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

French

beginners, very beginners Spanish

can understand Cantonese but don't speak it too well

can understand basic basic Mandarin but don't speak it

Marik

English, Japanese (lol engrish.. I get that if I stay in Japan for too long)  

Future Canadian

English
some Spanish (Restaraunt Spanish with an expanded vocabulary)
French at a first-year high school level if I really try.

I really love languages but suck at sticking to 'em long enough to really learn. I have CD/books on Hindi and Mandarin that I'm gonna tackle one of these days I'm sure.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

English

I'm also fluent in Golf and Euchre.  This is where I mastered hyphenated cussing.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I know 'merican too. Which is the most complicated language on the planet.

McQueen

'merican lol

I can speak English , Polish , czech (very similar to Polish)  and a bit of Spanish

random

english french polish some italian and tiny bit of spanish.