Mensa for Dummies

Started by 49er, Apr 18 07 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

49er

This is a quiz for people who know everything!  These are not trick questions.
They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine;  it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words.  Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

P.C.

I know them all except for#1

I only have 2 dw words for #6.....unless dweeb is a word

And for #9, I can only think of 5

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Frogrik

Orik here I've done frogotten my password again...
\
i think i know one or two of these i shall try.

This is a quiz for people who know everything!  These are not trick questions.
They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]a dance marathon ?[/span]

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward? [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]Niagra falls ?[/span]

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]potatoes and onions ?

[/span]4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]the pine nut ? [/span]

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine;  it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]they grow the pear inside the bottle of course[/span]

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words.  Name two of them.
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"] Dwarf dwarfism [/span][span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]Dweeb[/span]

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]the question mark? the comma, the period. the semicolon: the colon; the exclamation point! the hyphen ~ the ampersand &
the umlaut  ü  quotation mark " whatever the hell these two are called ` [span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]-  [/span]this ones used to continue a word on a page but what its called i dont know :( [/span]

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh. [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]lettuce[/span]

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S." [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]socks, shoes, stickers, slippers stylish shoes :P
string
[/span]

Orik

49er could you like kinda tell us the answers, i would like to know if i got any right or not...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Orik

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

had some time to think on it what about a [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]cocunut[/span]... its basicaly one big seed..

then there is the strawberry and the for the life of me i cant rember  what the bloody thing is called now..

arghhh ... i hate that ...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

49er

Orik wrote:

49er could you like kinda tell us the answers, i would like to know if i got any right or not...

[FONT color=#ff0000]Answers:[/FONT]

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants  know the score or the leader until the contest ends
 [FONT color=#ff0000]. . Boxing
[/FONT]
2. North American landmark constantly moving backward.

[FONT color=#ff0000].. [/FONT][SPAN id=lw_1177434986_0 style="CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed; HEIGHT: 1em"][FONT color=#ff0000]Niagara Falls[/FONT][/SPAN][FONT color=#ff0000]  (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)
[/FONT]
3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons

[FONT color=#ff0000]. . Asparagus and rhubarb.[/FONT]

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside

[FONT color=#ff0000] . . Strawberry
[/FONT]
5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?

[FONT color=#ff0000]..It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small,
and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)
[/FONT]
6. Three English words beginning with dw:
[FONT color=#ff0000]..Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.
[/FONT]
7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar

[FONT color=#ff0000]. . Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
[/FONT]
8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh

[FONT color=#ff0000]...Lettuce.
[/FONT]
9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet  beginning with "s"

[FONT color=#ff0000].. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.[/FONT]

Orik

nice to know i got a couple right. it bothered me no end not knowing the answers...

thanks 49er. that was a fun little bit of trivia to learn....

rhubarb is a vegetable?  i always thought it was a fruit.... strawberry and rhubarb pie was a staple growing up....

i never knew that about asparagus... cool...

boxing... lol a game judged by blows.and the amount of them landing... and i thought a winner was obvious considering the loser was usually unconscious....

edit (i must be one of the very few men who does not watch sports) unless you count fishing shows. it must be some inner redneck in me

well i knew the strawberry one. but where does that leave the coconut is it a fruit or a vegetable... and is the coconut not one big seed so would it not qualify ?

i think i need more sleep.. im rambling away again...

dweeb should be listed it is used often enough to call people mental midgets... and it is ;listed in the dictionary...

lettuce (hehe) not dwell on the answers...never have i used that word in a sentence until this [font color="#ff0000"]dwindling[/font] moment of stoned ramblings..

loling at the footware the answers are so obvious when i see them i wonder how i could have missed them..

okay i am going back to bed ... im not good when i am stoned and sleep deprived...