Budget Tips

Started by Lil Me, Apr 18 07 02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]   You have an amazing memory.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I have to say that brussel sprouts, once cooked, do have a terrible after smell in the pot....worse than a poopy diaper.

That's probably one of the reasons why I don't cook em that often.

I think I have a budget tip:

When I buy something in bulk from Costco, for example, two loaves of bread for X price, I share the cost with a friend.  Most of the time, I want one loaf, not two.  And it also applies to eggs, because their eggs come in two packages and I can only eat one.  And mascara, I only want one, not two... so I find someone to split it with me.  I save some money this way.

P.C.

I do that too.  I love the Manns snap peas....but as much as I love them, there is an awful lot in a bag....so my neighbour and I split a bag.  For the most part, aside from meat....I don't get a lot of food from Costco.  Mostly their 'specialty' items....like the baby cukes and their spring greens.

Michel

purelife

Michel wrote:
Their meat is way cheaper than at Superstore?[/DIV]
 Superstore meat is cheaper but Costco's meat is better quality, imo.  I don't have a lot of freezer space because otherwise, I'd buy Costco meat more often.  They just sell so much of a certain meat like drumsticks, roast beef, pork, etc.

I like that snap peas you're talking about too, P.C.  I brought a bag last weekend and have been eating it all week for my lunch.  I just love snacking on them.  I make sure I have a bag of raw veggies to munch on.  Today, I had snap peas, zuchinni, cucumbers and grape tomatoes...all from Costco. :)

P.C.

I don't know if it is or not Michel.  I doubt it.  I don't think Costcos meats are cheap by a long shot.....BUT....it IS good meat....and actually, we don't buy a lot of our meat there.  Again, usually something special....like a prime rib or their incredible jumbo prawns.   I don't shop at StupidStore at all, so I really don't know their prices very well.  

Lil Me

I think Michel would like the selection of frozen foods and ready-to-eat meals (refrigerator section) of Costco.  Things that don't really need to be cooked...just heated.  These convenience meals are a money-saving tip if a busy person would normally otherwise eat out (...but don't make financial sense for a family of 4...unless it's a special treat).

I've been saving money by eating less meat.  Trying to cook with PIECES of meat in a recipe (ie stirfry, stew, soup) instead of  serving MEAT (ie chicken breast, pork chops, steak) as a main dish.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

P.C.

Yes....some of that stuff is actually pretty good and I'm not a big fan of  'convenience stuff'.  The spring rolls are SO yummy.  

Michel

Lil Me

Michel- Suggestion...since you eat a lot of the same things all the time, make a weekly shopping list once using excel.  It will make your shopping much easier, and you can buy enough groceries to last a week!  Use the same list every week.

Example:

[span style="text-decoration: underline;"]Quantity                              Item[/span]
 4                                          cans soup
 1                                          box crackers
 1                                          box cereal
 2                                          packages meat
 4                                          apples
 4                                          oranges
 4                                          bananas
 1                                          carton milk
 2                                          boxes frozen waffles
 2                                          boxes granola bars
 6                                          packages noodle soup
 1                                          package spaghetti
 1                                          jar spaghetti sauce
 2                                          bags Doritos
                                            cat food

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Lil Me

Last week I baked 3 large garlic pepper chicken breasts (1/2 package- the other 1/2 is in the freezer).  Cut the meat into pieces for 2 dinners + sandwiches/wraps.  I'm currently using the bones for a pot of congee.  

Gopher

purelife wrote:
 I have to say that brussel sprouts, once cooked, do have a terrible after smell in the pot....worse than a poopy diaper.

That's probably one of the reasons why I don't cook em that often.  ......[FONT color=#c00000]I NEVER cook poopy diapers.[/FONT]

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

[img style="width: 476px; height: 357px;" src="http://www.hobotraveler.com/blogphotos/blog184_01riceniger.jpg[/img]
+

+
[img style="width: 207px; height: 402px;" src="http://startcooking.com/public/IMG_4092.JPG[/img]
+

=
Food issues solved.
hahahahaha
and a cheap budget to boot.

I must say I feel healthier after going all rice all the time.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|