Budget Tips

Started by Lil Me, Apr 18 07 02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I love libraries! I think they're the best place to get books that you don't want to spend $$$$ on. Lise Jr. loves the books there and we can't get enough of them. We've only just skimmed the surface of what our local library have to offer. Apart from good books, they also have stuff on resources like preschools, storytime, computer games, CDs and DVDs... virtually endless.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I also buy a lot of used paperback books.  Heckyl and Jeckyl inherited the reading gene, and they burn through a lot of crappy kids' fiction (Captain Underpants, Wishbone, etc.)  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Most major libraries also have an annual book sale/fair.  I went to last year's New Westminster Public Library and they had tons and tons of books for under a buck.  We got a couple of bags.  I'm looking forward to going to it again this year.  

The best thing to do is call the libraries and ask if and when they have a book fair.  It's always a great bargain to save money.    

Sportsdude

That's awesome that you guys have such a great library.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Starfish Scientist

libraries are great.  used to get dvds, cds and musical scores there to save money.  and the annual book sales are excellent too.  one time i bought a math textbook there for $2.  returned it to the university bookstore after the semester and since they gave back 50% of the list price, i received something like $65!  

Sportsdude

lol!!!!
niiiiiiiiiiiiice

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

greycat

My husband and i used to go to this recycling centre and they had tons of cans of paint for free! We painted our business and several rooms of our house with it...is there anything like that in Vancouver?  
It is what it is.

Russ

Unless they know you or you know some of the guys at the local recyling depot (local 'dump' that gets trucked out to the real dump) they get pissed at you and charge you.

Ive gotten some good stuff from there.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

I've been eating whatever foods are in season and on sale.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

This isn't a 'budget' tip.....it's just a tip.

When you've cooked your pasta, poor into a sieve to drain.... then shred a whole carrot on the smallest grate into the pasta pot.  Pour the pasta back into the pot on top of the grated carrot.....and add a teaspoon of butter.  Let it sit for a minute or two and stir.  Pasta turns a yummy rich colour and adds vitamins. (great if you have kids who aren't veggie fans)  or if you're Michel.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I like that pasta/carrot idea, PC.  I wonder if it'll work for brussel sprouts?

P.C.

Ew.  I have an aversion to brussels sprouts.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Michel

purelife

P.C. wrote:
 Ew.  I have an aversion to brussels sprouts.[/DIV]
 LOL, I know. ;)  

|