Budget Tips

Started by Lil Me, Apr 18 07 02:16

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Since sticking to a budget (or some reasonable facsimile) is an inevitable part of being an adult, I thought we should share our creative money-saving tips.
 --

I go to the library instead of buying books (or borrow them from the mom and dad lending library).

I dumpster dive for planters, tomato cages and some furniture.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Last time I tried going to the library for books.. I forgot I had them and took them with me to sea.. then lent them out and came home without them, almost two months overdue.

The library loves me. With all the fines and exorbitant price they charged me for the books they must have built a new wing on a library somewhere.

I too like to look down lanes to see what goodies people have thrown out. I always look through craigslist and the buynsell.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I scour the Liquidators etc for things like paint and paint tools (way cheaper than anywhere).

When I plan projects, I eliminate anything that involves work that I can't do myself (or with Mr. P.C.)

I often make gifts.

When I'm ambitious.....menu planning can be a huge savings.

I'm patient when it comes to looking for something I want or need....I usually always end up finding what I want and sometimes even something better than I wanted, at the price I want to pay.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

My Liquidation World paint didn't work so well. :(  I think it was REALLY old paint because there were wall adhesion issues.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

I buy the noname brand on some products to save some money.

I almost only buy clothes when they go on sale or is very cheap.

I save money by not smoking, not drinking, rarely socializing with friends, by not spending money on makeup, by not buying a pair of shoes every week, by not buying tons and tons of clothes that I don't need or wear...  

P.C.

Oh yea....I thought of some more.

I don't go to the movies (although I don't think this is a budget issue....lol)

I don't go to the hairdressers......hate 'em.

I don't get manicures, facials or pedicures.  (again....not necessarily a budget issue.  I would be embarrassed to show my hands at a manicurists)        

purelife

Pedicures, manicures and facials...all very expensive.  I've never had these yet but yeah, they are pricey when it includes massages!  

I actually plan on saving money on massages when I visit this school of massage.  It's cheaper and totally budget saving compared to a real masseuse.

I also go to my hair stylist at his home so that I can save money.

Lil Me

I've bought a lot of Value Village clothing and used books over the years.  I love Liquidation World, XS Cargo and Army & Navy.  It's a game, as I feel totally ripped off if I pay full price for something.

Homemade wine and don't smoke anymore, unless I'm completely hammered.

purelife

Speaking of A&N, they have their annual shoe sale today and for the next few days.

P.C.

It's a game, as I feel totally ripped off if I pay full price for something.

That's what it is for me too Lil Me.  I have a friend who has more money than God and shops like there's no tomorrow.  I get a sense she's never particularly happy with what she buys.  I get a kick out of getting great stuff inexpensively.....or making something out of very little, or re-purposing something.

Lise

Stick to one credit card if possible. That way you won't spend as much. Use credit card that rewards  you so for every dollar you spend, you'll get something back. Better still, leave that card behind and stick to cash.

Don't go for the Zellers or the Bay or Sears card... they just make you buy stuff you don't need. (I really HATE them asking me if I want one each time I purchase my items. Enough already!)

Get a grocery list and STICK to them. It's hard to do but I find that if you stick to the essential items ONLY, you won't overspend. Indulge in other items once a while but let's face it... do you really need mangoes or that chocolate bar each time you go shopping?

Keep an eye out for coupons. I go crazy for flyers (go online to get them, save the trees!) or join forums that will let you know when there's a good deal.

Bulk is the way to go but it's not always practical. Still, if you have a friend or two, you can go bulk hunting and share out the cost.

Buy fresh produce when possible. It's amazing to see the cost difference when you compare something that comes pre-package to something that isn't. I know where to find cheap eats and know a bargain when I see one so I buy on the spot.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Great ideas, everyone.  Here's a few more:

-Take out a dept store credit card if it's a large purchase you're going to make anyaways (and pay off the balance before interest accrues).  One of my neighbours bought a new H20 tank at 20% off at Sears. He scratched and saved an additional 20% and then took out a Sears card for a further 20%.  He's a champion in my books!

-I realize this isn't feasable or desirable for everyone, but we've saved so much freaking $$$ since we've unplugged our cable tv.  We initially did it because we didn't want the kids brainwashed by advertizing, but we're also somewhat free of the of the marketing mindf*ck ourselves now (but not completly because it's pervasive in every form of media...).  I really see what it does to my friends, as I see them spending money they don't have to keep up with the lifestyles portrayed on tv.

Sportsdude

Libraries are pointless for me, the only thing they have on Canada is vacation ideas and maps.
I like going out to eat once a week. Cut out the fast food places and I can do that.

Drive only if you have to, no 'sunday' drives.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Sportsdude wrote:
Libraries are pointless for me, the only thing they have on Canada is vacation ideas and maps.
--
 Maybe it's time to expand one's horizons and research other non-fiction subject areas?  Just a thought.  I love libraries, and I've developed many other interests by browsing and reading.  Take a creative walk through your library and see what happens!

Sportsdude

Lil Me wrote:
 Sportsdude wrote:
--
Maybe it's time to expand one's horizons and research other non-fiction subject areas?  Just a thought.  I love libraries, and I've developed many other interests by browsing and reading.  Take a creative waslk through your library and see what happens!

Well I gave up on America when looking for Orwell, next to his two books are 40 Bill O'Rielly books.
I want to read about history, which my library doesn't subscribe to.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|