Television Evangelist Falwell Dead at 73

Started by TehBorken, May 15 07 01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Thank you god, but what the hell took you so long??
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
[a  href="http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8P5070O0&show_article=1"]Television Evangelist Falwell Dies at 73[/a]

[span name="isRegion" id="isRegion"]LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) - The Rev. Jerry Falwell, the television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority and used it to mold the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University. He was 73.  "I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast," Godwin said. "He went to his office, I went to mine, and they found him unresponsive." [/p] Dr. Carl Moore, Falwell's physician, said the evangelist had a heart rhythm abnormality. He said Falwell was found without a pulse and never regained consciousness.[/p][/span][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][span name="isRegion" id="isRegion"] [/p][/span]There are those of us who would say he never had [span style="font-weight: bold;" name="isRegion" id="isRegion"]consciousness[/span] in the first place.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

There are plenty of other televangelists waiting for generous hand-outs from the suckers.

Get rid of one and ten more take his place.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lil Me

I can't believe he had so much of a following.  I don't know ANYONE who liked him (Christians included).  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I can name about 5,000 people.
His movement of hate took over the midwest/south.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

pretty much everything east of the rockies, south and west of D.C. is evanglist land.
Focus on the Family, Robertson and so on.
Colorado Springs is a hot bed, that's where the Focus on the Family, Dobson, that pastor who had a gay affair and then un-gayed himself come from.

kitten

I guess he decided he couldn't knock it if he hadn't tried it.

Sportsdude

I always found it funny that a man who was for segregation in the 60's (falwell) basically said mlk was a nobody because he was black, lived in a town with the word 'lynch' in it.    

kitten

I find it equally funny that people will send their money to some loud-mouth that threatens them with hell if they don't.

Lil Me

Thanks for that piece of trivia, SD.  It is funny.

I've actually read serveral of Dobson's books- and he makes very valid points about life, relationships and family.  You just have to take the conservative political agenda with a grain of salt and do a mental "sift" as you're reading.

I REALLY like the Focus on the Family radio play series Adventures in Oddyssey.  I've been listening to it for years- it's funny, entertaining and very much like an "old time" radio show.

Sportsdude

they do it because they're disadvanted in life, when you're down you can be taken advantaged of too easily.
Its like a poor person voting republican, because the republicans give off this "I'm rich and you can be too!!" feel even though Republicans could careless about the poor people.

Sportsdude

The problem with the whole movement is that they're using a loop hole in the tax-exempt system. They're are being political and violating the tax-exempt laws. So technically the christian right movement is illegal.

They've only cared about individualistic morality. They have never cared for social justice, the poor, environment, and accepting people who are different. Because that would be 'un-conservative'.

jay

Sportsdude wrote:
 they do it because they're disadvanted in life, ...Its like a poor person voting republican, because the republicans give off this "I'm rich and you can be too!!"

Sorry to parse hairs, SD, but if that's true, then why do a majority of blacks consistantly vote democrat?  Considering that a considerable majority of blacks live at or below the poverty line?  Not a racist statement, just an observation.