One bad command = total loss of Rover

Started by TehBorken, Apr 14 07 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Man, that's gotta suck. Now it's a $200,000,000 paperweight on Mars.
 [hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]Mars Global Surveyor Died from Single Bad Command

The LA Times reports that a [a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-mars14apr14,0,4365613.story?coll=la-home-headlines"]single wrong command[/a] sent to the wrong computer address caused a cascade of events that led to the loss of the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft last November. The command was an orientation instruction for the spacecraft's main communications antenna. The mistake caused a problem with the positioning of the solar power panels, which in turned caused one of the batteries to overheat, shutting down the solar power system and draining the batteries some 12 hours later.

'The review panel found the management team followed existing procedures in dealing with the problem, but those procedures were inadequate to catch the errors that occurred. The review also said the spacecraft's onboard fault-protection system failed to respond correctly to the errors. Instead of protecting the spacecraft, the programmed response made it worse.'
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Well, I guess they know for next time then.

So.. when are you guys footing the bill for the next one?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

I remember the beagle project. They were using the metric and standard measurements and somebody goofed and it crashed. brilliant.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
I remember the beagle project. They were using the metric and standard measurements and somebody goofed and it crashed. brilliant.  
   THATS the one I was sitting here trying to remember SD! Thanks.. I remembered something like that with the space program.. couldnt quite remember which one it was though.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

yup a complete mess that project was. Then on the Titan exploration thingy somebody forgot to turn on this program on the module. ugh, nasa people are suppose to be smart... oops there's that one crazy astronaut.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

wrong button

Imagine yourself...you went in space as a tourist and... ...someone send you in outer space because someone pushed the "wrong button"....hahahahahhaah....'cuz that 'someone' had a bad weekend or a bad hangover.....haha...the "wrong button" sent you in black hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrong button

Imagine yourself...you went in space as a tourist and... ...someone send you in outer space because someone pushed the "wrong button"....hahahahahhaah....'cuz that 'someone' had a bad weekend or a bad hangover.....haha...the "wrong button" sent you in black hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

RejdzegejnstdwashM

how D hell this happened? those two posts above are mine!!!!??? who D hell is a guest! I guess I pushed a "wrong button" ......upps! sorryy....