Paralympics in Torino

Started by Lise, Mar 11 06 09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

My hats off to the wonderful men and women who are competing in the Paraympics in Torino. You guys are awesome and deserve just as much coverage as our olympians do.

Bravo Torino for the wonderful performances on opening night. Moved my heart by your simple yet forceful display of courage and beauty.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

And my hat's off to YOU Lise, for putting that out there.[/DIV]It is heartwarming to see the courage these athletes show.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c011.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Thanks, P.C. I was crying by the end of the opening ceremony. When that blind little girl lit the torch... oh man..... so emotional these days.

These atheletes are remarkable ppl. To think they struggle with their conditions every day of their lives and yet go on to become atheletes at the olympics. I couldn't keep up with them even if I tried and I have all my body parts with me.

They simply are outstanding human beings.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

So true, Lise.  Inspiring to say the least.  Bless your sweet little buttons gal.

kingy

it was on tv? i didnt see anything on cbc, nor did i see any highlights of it.

kitten

I'm so frustrated because I've just got basic cable and am mising everything.  I'd love to be able to watch it.  I'm so annoyed that CBC broadcast the regular Olympics several hours a day, but this is equally important and they couldn't be bothered?  Ridiculous!  They should have been able to line up enough sponsors to be able to carry it.  These great athletes deserve much better.  It's almost as though they aren't considered first-class Canadians worthy of the attention.  And they claim to represent Canadian interests!  They should be ashamed of themselves.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lise

I saw a trailer on the internet. A friend passed it to me and I was going to post the link here but I can't find it. Sucks.

There should be more coverage on this. Seems so stupid that there's hardly any coverage.
Bill Cosby.

perpetual

[FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]I do understand how people that do not have disabilities find the Paralympics admirable, however as a disability activist, I have learned that the descriptions mentioned in this thread are disliked by many people with disabilities, including Paralympian athletes.  For example, [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]heartwarming,  courage, remarkable ppl, struggle with their conditions, Inspiring, and so forth...[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]People with disabilities are simply living their lives just like people without disabilities do.  There is nothing brave, courageous, remarkable, miraculous, inspiring, amazing, interesting about what they do to go about their lives.  One way to think about their perspective on how they live their lives is how you as a person without a disability put your pants on or brush your teeth.  You don't think about it, you just do it, right?[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]Paralympians are athletes, pure and simple, and their disability is not a factor to them in their everyday life.[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]On another topic, something interesting on telly in a few hours.  I'm not sure if this also applies to the USA because I'm in Vancouver, Canada.  There's a cool movie on Channel 31 (A&E) called Murderball.  It is a documovie from filmmakers Henry Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro and profiles members of rugby teams in the United States and Canada that has players who happen to use wheelchairs.  It airs from 9am to 11am today (March 12).  

Cheers all!  [img alt="" src="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/icon/icon_smile.gif" border=0] [/FONT]

Tor Johnston

Paralympics at it's finest if you're in any way like me: Murderball. Great doc. Rent the DVD. You'll like the "black eye game" in the extras I bet.

Lise

ARGH. Can't find the download link. Stupid me!

Here are the images of the opening ceremony instead. Click on Torino 2006 Opening Ceremony.[/DIV][A href="http://www.paralympicgames.torino2006.org/ENG/ParalympicGames/gare_e_programma/fotogallery.html"]http://www.paralympicgames.torino2006.org/ENG/ParalympicGames/gare_e_programma/fotogallery.html[/A]
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Thanks so much, Lise.  That is one of the things I was looking for.  Another option is  ParalympicSport.TV

[A href="http://player.narrowstep.tv"]http://player.narrowstep.tv[/A]   There is some video there, but you have to allow some pop-ups from the sponsors.

kitten

I was just watching the sledge hockey game on that link.  Canada is leading Italy 12 - 0 in the 3rd period!

P.C.

[FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]I do understand how people that do not have disabilities find the Paralympics admirable, however as a disability activist, I have learned that the descriptions mentioned in this thread are disliked by many people with disabilities, including Paralympian athletes.  For example, [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]heartwarming,  courage, remarkable ppl, struggle with their conditions, Inspiring, and so forth...[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000]People with disabilities are simply living their lives just like people without disabilities do.  There is nothing brave, courageous, remarkable, miraculous, inspiring, amazing, interesting about what they do to go about their lives. [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"]Well, if anyone is offended because they've inspired someone to live their lives better and more full, they are afflicted with more than a physical disability.  If I'm amazed by their determination at doing things, that I whine about as an 'able bodied' person, then perhaps they're looking at it from the wrong perspective.  Another one of those little things that demonstrates how we're all really the same. It seems physically challenged people are as prone to nit-picking as able bodied people ?  [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"]I found it amazing, heartwarming, remarkable, inspiring (etc) when my child took her first steps.  I hope[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"]she didn't grow up thinking I was being condecsending.  Achievement is impressive and admirable, no matter who is doing it.[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face="Arial Narrow"]In the spirit of ALL athletes....they're are all out there to do the same thing.  To win.....and it's just the way it is, that people will find that impressive.  [/FONT][/DIV]

kitten

I think that perpetualacademe is missing the point and trying to be far too politically correct.  Of course, paralympians are admired for their courage, struggle against the odds, inspirational qualities and so forth.  So are the able-bodied who achieve things that the average person isn't capable of doing.  We ARE amazed by their talent, skill and determination.  Yes, I'm aware that they do the ordinary things that everyone else does, but able-bodied or otherwise, they are inspirational through these achievements, and should be recognized as such.  If  other athletes are recognized for their performance, should they be ignored because they live their lives just like you and I?  For heaven's sake, just give credit where it is due.  They are all ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

[FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#000000][/FONT]

P.C.

kitten ..........They are all ordinary people doing extraordinary things.[/DIV] [/DIV] [/DIV]EXACTLY......well said, kitten.  I'll take inspiration wherever I can find it....lol