Ban Engrish: Officials

Started by Lise, Apr 12 07 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Ah c'mon. It's part of China, it's part of the charm.... it makes us all laugh. Keep it! Keep it!!! Besides you can't erase Engrish.

Beijing Olympic officials want to ban poor Englissh

BEIJING (AP) - Along with spitting, rundown housing and bad manners, add unintelligible English to the list of things organizers of the 2008 Beijing Olympics want to ban.

Municipal officials promised Wednesday to crack down on awkward Chinese-inflected English, known as "Chinglish," and asked the public to help police bad grammar and faulty syntax.

With 500,000 foreigners expected for the Olympics, taxi drivers who can't speak English - or signs that mangle the language - could be an embarrassment and distract from the US$40 billion being poured into rebuilding the city for the Games.

[FONT size=1]Read more: [/FONT][A href="http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/04/11/3982137-ap.html"][FONT size=1]http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/04/11/3982137-ap.html[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sawdust

OMG. Say it's not so! I hope they don't ban engrish.com. Lil Me posts some great pics from there.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lil Me

aw thanks.  I love that website!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

tenkani

Yup. The latest news is that they're rounding up [FONT face="Arial Black" color=#ff0000 size=7]GRAMMAR[/FONT] criminals and clubbing them to death in the streets. It's a terrible human rights issue, obviously, but it should be a boon for the fake fur industry.  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
Yup. The latest news is that they're rounding up [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]grammer [/span]criminals and clubbing them to death in the streets.

Let's hope they don't go after the poor spellers next...

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

I is totally humiliated.

See, a real friend would have gone in after I posted and cleaned up my blunder.

Et tu, Brute?
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.