It was a good day for dissent

Started by Dood, Feb 07 06 10:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Dood

[font color="black" face="Arial"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 13.5pt; color: black; font-style: italic; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN"]Future American lawyers to be proud of.[/span][/i][/b][/font]
[/div][div][font color="black" face="Verdana" size="2"][span style="color: black; font-family: Verdana;" lang="EN"]AlbertoGonzales spoke before law students at Georgetown today, justifyingillegal, unauthorized surveilance of US citizens, but during the courseof his speech the students in class did something pretty ballsy andbrave. They got up from their seats and turned their backs to him.

Tomake matters worse for Gonzales, additional students came into theroom, wearing black cowls and carrying a simple banner, written on asheet:
[/span][/font][/p][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/POLITICS/01/24/nsa.strategy/story.gonzales.protesters.jpg" alt="story.gonzales.protesters.jpg" height="168" hspace="0" vspace="0" width="220"][!--===========/IMAGE===========--][!--===========CAPTION==========--]
[/p][font color="black" face="Verdana" size="2"][span style="color: black; font-family: Verdana;" lang="EN"]Fortunately for him, it was a brief speech... followed by a panel discussion that basically ripped his argument a new a**hole.

And, as one of the people on the panel said,

"Whenyou're a law student, they tell you if say that if you can't argue thelaw, argue the facts. They also tell you if you can't argue the facts,argue the law. If you can't argue either, apparently, the solution isto go on a public relations offensive and make it a political issue...to say over and over again "it's lawful", and to think that theAmerican people will somehow come to believe this if we say it oftenenough.

In light of this, I'm proud of the very civil civil disobedience that was shown here today."

- David Cole, Georgetown University Law Professor

It was a good day for dissent.[/span][/font][/p] [/p]

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

libdave

He is fully correct in justifying the adminsitration's actions in this
manner as owners have a right to do what they want with their
property. Does this sound like a contradiction? No, the owner in this
statement is the federal goverenment and the property is the US
Citizen, to wit:

> Therefore, the U.S. citizens
> residing in one of the states of the union, are
> classified as property and franchises of the federal
> government as an "individual entity." [span id="st" name="st" class="st0"]Wheeling[/span] Steel Corp.
> v. Fox, 298 U.S. 193, 80 L.Ed. 1143, 56 S.Ct. 773.

So the question becomes, are you a US Citizen? If so they can do what
they want with their property i.e. you.

You have no access to the courts. When you go into a 'court' you
are not standing in front of a judicial officer, but an administrative one. Do you want to know why you don't
have access to the courts and there for no guaranteed constitutional protection of your rights?
Because you have accepted a benefit from the state, specifically your SS benefit.

Give me some time and I'll look up the cite for you.

So if it ever come to the draft - don't burn your draft card - burn you SS card.

Quote from: Dood on Feb 07 06 10:27 [font color="black" face="Arial"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 13.5pt; color: black; font-style: italic; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN"]Future American lawyers to be proud of.[/span][/i][/b][/font]
[/div][div][font color="black" face="Verdana" size="2"][span style="color: black; font-family: Verdana;" lang="EN"]AlbertoGonzalesspokebeforelaw students at Georgetown today,justifyingillegal,unauthorizedsurveilance of US citizens, but duringthe courseof hisspeech thestudents in class did something pretty ballsyandbrave. They got up from their seats and turned their backs to him.

Tomakemattersworsefor Gonzales, additional students came into theroom,wearing blackcowlsand carrying a simple banner, written on asheet:
[/span][/font][/p][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/POLITICS/01/24/nsa.strategy/story.gonzales.protesters.jpg" alt="story.gonzales.protesters.jpg" height="168" hspace="0" vspace="0" width="220"][!--===========/IMAGE===========--][!--===========CAPTION==========--]
[/p][font color="black" face="Verdana" size="2"][span style="color: black; font-family: Verdana;" lang="EN"]Fortunately for him, it was a brief speech... followed by a panel discussion that basically ripped his argument a new a**hole.

And, as one of the people on the panel said,

"Whenyou'realawstudent, they tell you if say that if you can't argue thelaw,arguethefacts. They also tell you if you can't argue the facts,arguethelaw. Ifyou can't argue either, apparently, the solution isto go onapublicrelations offensive and make it a political issue...to sayoverand overagain "it's lawful", and to think that theAmerican peoplewillsomehowcome to believe this if we say it oftenenough.

In light of this, I'm proud of the very civil civil disobedience that was shown here today."

- David Cole, Georgetown University Law Professor

It was a good day for dissent.[/span][/font][/p] [/p]

tenkani

Interesting. Well, I'm not a law student, and am not familiar with that case, but I don't think arguing in the supreme court that American citizens are property of the state and therefore the state is legally permitted to take any action it likes would fly very far. And, obviously, that sentiment runs contrary to our constitution and to the generally agreed upon sentiments of the framers who, despite their flaws, realized that a system of checks and balances was vital to prevent a runaway executive branch from pissing on our civil liberties.

Yes, I realize that you're kidding.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

Hey, Hey, lets over throw the govt. they need a good ass whipping.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Good thing your spelling is teh suk or one of "their" data mining bots would have sniffed out that last post and swooped in by now   *looking around nervously*
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

49er

Bush's original excuse was that he did it because other presidents before him did the same thing....I haven't heard anyone in his administration using this argument recently.....someone must have pointed out how stupid that sounded

TehBorken

LibDave!
[font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2"]
Damn, I don't know how I missed seeing this before. Doh.

For all of you out there in TV Land, LibDave and I were employed together at Boeing for a while. We had a good time there until 9-11.

Old joke: Libdave, how many people work at Boeing?

[/font]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

libdave

Oh, about half.

TehBorken wrote:
LibDave!
[font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2"]
Damn, I don't know how I missed seeing this before. Doh.

Forall of you out there in TV Land, LibDave and I were employed togetherat Boeing for a while. We had a good time there until 9-11.

Old joke: Libdave, how many people work at Boeing?

[/font]