Interview Questions

Started by Lise, Apr 05 07 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Remember when you lied through your teeth (and a big fake smile) as you answer them? What's the most stupiest interview question you've heard in your lifetime? You know, the ones that make you wonder where they get their questions from or what planet they come from?

Mine was:

[FONT color=#ff0000]What is your policy concerning dentist who are into dubious practise?[/FONT]

My first thought was: you've got to be kidding. Then my second one was, Why? Are you into oral sex? (yes, pun intended)

My answer................................. "No, I'm not into that. If a dentist do something that's morally wrong then I'm in the wrong office."

Needless to say I got the job but I turned it down for obvious reasons.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

When I've had interviews I'm so well liked apparently I end up controlling the conversation and start asking the questioner questions.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

i hope lise doesnt work for the dentist that had the camera in the ladies bathroom...

CHILLIWACK/CKNW(AM980) - RCMP have arrested a Chilliwack dentist after  members of his staff discovered a video camera in the staff  washroom.

Doctor Mario Laskaris doesn't deny installing the camera but  maintains it was for surveillance. He admits making a mistake and claims he'll  do whatever is necessary to make it up to his seven female staff  members.

The dental office is closed for now but a spokesman for the  College of Dental Surgeons won't comment on the case unless Doctor Laskaris is  eventually charged by the College itself.

P.C.

When I've had interviews I'm so well liked apparently I end up controlling the conversation and start asking the questioner questions.

lol....Is it safe to assume you didn't get the jobs where you ended up controlling the conversation ?.....you're delivering papers.....(not that there's anything wrong with that)      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

LOL PC, my thoughts exactly!    

P.C.

I'm terrible in an interview......unless there is an obvious connection with the interviewer.  Whether it's the same sense of humour or SOMETHING etc.  I have a habit of using humour when I'm uncomfortable or nervous, but if the interviewer has no sense of hawhaw....I'm lost.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

You've described all my experiences of interviews, PC.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I'm terrible in an interview......unless there is an obvious connection with the interviewer.

And that's the key. It's easy to personalize an interview and make it work, but [span style="text-decoration: underline;"]you[/span] have to do it because the interviewer never will. I've interviewed a lot of times, mostly because I did contract work for several years. Here are my observations, for what they're worth:

First of all, 99% of the time the interviewer doesn't really want to know if you know how to do the job. They're already past that because you're in there interviewing- they already think you can do the job. What the inteviewer really wants to know is, "Can I work with this person without them driving me and everyone else bonkers?" They just want to know if it's possible to get along with you, and in most cases that carries way more weight than the skills you claim to have.

Here's what I do (or did, when I was Out There working for a living):

When you show up, come in and make a little joke. Not a big joke, a little joke. This ain't Comedy Central. No, just make a little joke about traffic or the weather or the size of the building. ("Traffic was moving so slow I thought I was traveling backwards in time", "It's raining so hard there were whales in the parking lot", "Wow, this campus is so large I think I crossed two time zones on the way in".

It doesn't matter what you joke about, you're just doing this let the interviewer know that
a) you have a sense of humor (always good),
b) you're not too serious about stuff (i.e. not fun to work with)
c) this interview isn't life-or-death to you (even if it is)
d) you're relaxed about what you're doing (interviewing)
e) you're a human being, not just some damn number on their list

Next, find something personal on their wall or desk like their kid's picture, something their child might have drawn, a travel photo of them, a knicknack, etc etc and ask about it or make a comment on it. "Oh, is that you in Mexico?", "Did your daughter draw that? Yeah, mine likes bright colors too", etc etc. Again, it almost doesn't matter what it is, you're just doing it to let them know that you're human, personable, friendly, etc.

After you blab a bit and break the ice they might even get around to asking you something job-related (lol) but 90% of the time they're thinking, "Yeah, okay, I can work with this person", and you're a shoo-in.  

Finally, never show fear or grovel or treat them like royalty. If you treat the interviewer like God, they'll treat you like a Mortal. That's a Bad Thing[font size="1"](tm)[/font]. If you treat them like just another person (in a friendly way, of course) they'll usually respond in kind. I've done probably 100 interviews and out of all those there might have been 3 or 4 times I wasn't offered the job. Once was because the group I was applying to was disbanded the next day (at Boeing, lol).

Really- just bop in there,  kid around a little, establish a personal connection, and you'll more than likely land that sucker. It's worked time and time again for me and I interviwed with some really tough-assed companies: Microsoft, Boeing (where I was eventually hired!), AT&T, GE Valecitos, etc etc.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

What's the best angle to work on when they ask you to tell them something about yourself?

TehBorken

Gopher wrote:
What's the best angle to work on when they ask you to tell them something about yourself?

You mean in a personal sense (hobbies, personality, work habits etc) or as in a work-related sense?

If personal, I usually mention I'm easy-going, flexible, enjoy what I do, etc etc. Simple positive stuff.

If work-related, I usually let my resume speak for itself, something like "Well, my resume gives a pretty good idea of what I've been involved in with my career. I like what I do and I want to continue in this field." Something along those lines.

Gopher

I don't really know. You're just faced with the simple question and then left to wonder what they want to know - where does one start?

TehBorken

Gopher wrote:
I don't really know. You're just faced with the simple question and then left to wonder what they want to know - where does one start?

Then I'd ask them to clarify what they mean- "Do you mean in a work-sense, or me personally?" and then I'd give them a little of both.

Gopher

Ah, so I've done what's right in the past. Just wanted to clarify this.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]When I've had interviews I'm so well liked apparently I end up controlling the conversation and start asking the questioner questions.[/em]

lol....Is it safe to assume you didn't get the jobs where you ended up controlling the conversation ?.....you're delivering papers.....(not that there's anything wrong with that)  

well, I've only had really one interview for a job and a university interview.
The job was for Best Buy. The interviewer brought it up anyway. He brought up politics. We talked for 30minutes had fun. The guy said he would have hired me but Best Buy has a 3 step process.
1) They accept your application and then say to come sit down for an interview
2) the hiring manager talks to you, then he goes to the the head dude
3) then the head dude decides yes or no

I got to the 3rd step but the head guy said no.  Since I wasn't a teenage girl with giant boobs I wasn't hired. Since that's all they hire at this best buy.

The other time it was a university. And the college admissions counselor and I small talked for an hour. People end up liking me the more they talk to me.

Sportsdude

I make 400 dollars a week throwing papers.
So its not a negative as you make it P.C. plus I only got the job because my dad throws papers as a side job and makes 80k.
Its hell though. You have no life, plus I like to be around people my own age, which isn't the case here.