Construction boom ended in February: StatsCan

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 04 07 01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Canada's record-setting pace of construction came to a sharp halt in February, according to Statistics Canada, which said the value of building permits plunged to its lowest level in a year.[/p] The government agency reported Wednesday that municipalities issued $4.9 billion worth of permits in February, down 22.4 per cent from January.[/p] The level was 12 per cent lower than last year's monthly average, and the lowest since February 2006.[/p] "February's decline, the fastest in 13 months, occurred due to across-the-board decreases in both residential and non-residential sectors," Statistics Canada reported.[/p] All provinces but Manitoba expected a decline in their construction schedule, with six of them registering double-digit percentage declines.[/p] "Prior to February, intentions have been strong in recent months, thanks mainly to soaring demand for residential and non-residential space in Western Canada."[/p] February's decline included drops in both the residential and non-residential sectors, Statistics Canada reported.[/p] Residential sector[/p] Permit values fell 17.8 per cent to $3.0 billion in the residential sector, the lowest level since March 2005.[/p] The housing sector saw intentions cool off in February because of an abrupt decline in multi-family dwelling permits, StatsCan said.[/p] The value of multi-family permits declined 34.4 per cent to $824 million, the lowest value in 13 months and the second lowest since December 2004.[/p] Municipalities approved only 7,120 multi-family units, down 27.4 per cent, the lowest level in just over a year.[/p] Meanwhile, the value of single-family permits fell 9.0 per cent to $2.2 billion after a record high the month before. This was the lowest level in eight months.[/p] Municipalities approved 9,160 single-family units, down 7.3 per cent from January, and 7.7 per cent below the average for 2006.[/p] The residential sector has seen the number of approved units decline since August 2006.[/p] The trend had seen almost uninterrupted growth since the beginning of 2005 until August.[/p] "However, several factors could still prop up the demand for housing, including strong employment growth, increasing disposable income, high consumer confidence, immigration and inter-provincial migration, favourable mortgage rates and low apartment vacancy rates in various centres," the report said.[/p] "On the other hand, the price of new homes continued to increase strongly in Western Canada, and the inventory of unsold new housing has been on the rise since August 2006."[/p]Story continues:[/p][a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070404/statscan_permits_070404/20070404?hub=Canada"]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070404/statscan_permits_070404/20070404?hub=Canada[/a]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Devil

In the west, this is not a bad thing. It will give the tradespeople and construction companies a chance to play catch up.

Sportsdude

I'm more of a fan of urban renewal then tearing up farm land and building strip malls and suburbia.  But I have seen actual good planning of a suburban community, but its a rarity though.  

Devil

Urban renewal or sprawling burbs, they still both require tradespeople and construction.

Sportsdude

true. Just wish the scales were tilted towards urban renewal projects then tearing up farm land for cookie cutter homes.  

Devil

True. One thing about Calgary, the inner city is experiencing a unprecedented revivial of condos and urban development. It took a few years for that to happen, but it is coming along very nice. That being said, the sprawl continues.

Same with Greater Vancouver. Last time I went to Maple Ridge, it was turning into a sprawling burb with cookie cutter houses too.

It use to be such a natural place.

Sportsdude

yeah Abbotsford is the fastest growing city in BC according to the census.
I'm a city fan who likes to get out of the city. So I like the cities to proper and thrive while the rural surrounding areas stay intact.

Devil

Sportsdude wrote:

I'm a city fan who likes to get out of the city. So I like the cities to proper and thrive while the rural surrounding areas stay intact.

I don't know where you would find "that" city?

Sportsdude

I know, I can dream can't I. :)  Smart growth over silly growth.  

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
I'm more of a fan of urban renewal then tearing up farm land and building strip malls and suburbia.  But I have seen actual good planning of a suburban community, but its a rarity though.

you call it urban renewal, but many call it gentrification

Sportsdude

I hate gentrification.  Because it doesn't solve anything, makes things worse.

I'm talking about sprawl issues.
Here in Saint Louis, they just decide to build something new instead of rehabing what they already have.

49er

no developer will invest in urban rehabitation unless he has a chance to make a profit.......for him to do that he will resell the improved properties at prices or raise rents to achieve his goal.

Sportsdude

here they just go where the money is.
This one road that I live next to used to be the hot spot road and now most of the businesses have boarded up and gone to the 'valley' on the flood plain that was under water in '93.

49er

can't blame people for moving out of crime ridden neighborhoods

can't blame developers for building new neigborhoods to accommodate this movement

can't blame businesses for following the money

Sportsdude

49er wrote:

can't blame people for moving out of crime ridden neighborhoods
only 2% of 150,000 people in my area are below the poverty line

can't blame developers for building new neigborhoods to accommodate this movement
no neighbourhoods were built

can't blame businesses for following the money
true, but its more like bribery what is going on here.
If you have a house that's 30 years old, its considered an eye soar and torn down to build a McMansions.
Problem in my area is that its a bunch of 40 to 50,000 sized towns. They aren't merging so they constantly tear down and build big box stores that bring revenue because they can't afford not to.
Office complexs are being torn down for strip malls.
Neighbourhoods are being torn up for more malls.
Meanwhile the existing strip malls become vacant, even though they were just built 10 years ago.