Possible Skytrain Strike this week

Started by purelife, Dec 11 06 01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

[H1][FONT face=Verdana color=midnightblue size=6][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 24pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]Skytrain workers vote in favour of strike[?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT][/H1] [SPAN class=storydate][FONT face=Verdana color=midnightblue size=2][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]December 08, 2006 - 4:10 pm[/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][FONT face=Verdana color=midnightblue size=2][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Skytrain stations could be behind picket lines next week. Workers have voted 90-percent in favour of a strike.  If talks fail on Wednesday - workers could walk off the job by next Friday.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Verdana color=midnightblue size=2][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]The union says its members are looking for better wages and benefits - and compensation for extending their collective agreement beyond the 2010 Olympics.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT]

[FONT face=Verdana color=midnightblue size=2][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]Over five-hundred workers took part in the strike vote - including Skytrain attendants,control operators and maintenance workers.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT]

purelife

This isn't going to be fun and for how long, unknown. *sigh*

kingy

and i bet the bus drivers union wont want to cross the picket line so that probably means no bus??

purelife

I hope that buses don't go on strike.  That would really suck.

Orik

and thats why i ride a bike...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Lise

Wonderful. Typical. Sucks for commuters.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

They are far overpaid anyhow and the Union gives them far too much.

This will hurt their customers... again.  But they dont care cause they know the taxpayer will pay them regardless of what joe blow public thinks.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kitten

Few of their customers are well-off, so the poor are going to be paying for their increase.....again!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

kingy

arent they already in debt from the canada line?

Russ

I dont know kingy, this is all I could find on it. [A href="http://www.canadaline.ca/aboutFinancing.asp"]http://www.canadaline.ca/aboutFinancing.asp[/A] I didnt know they had a website.

I also think google really sucks as it pops up all these debt places from the US when you pop in canada line debt.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kingy

i guess we can bump this thread every couple of years

[DIV class=articleCopy] VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - If you think traffic is bad in the city these days with Canada Line construction and the usual roadwork, it could get a whole lot worse. Bus drivers could be on strike as early as next week.

The bus drivers, members of Canadian Auto Workers Local 111, are planning to hold a vote later this week and if that goes through, they could end up issuing 72-hour strike notice. Their deal with the Coast Mountain Bus Company expired over the weekend, and the company has said that means we could see service disruptions as early as next week.

However, TransLink insists riders shouldn't worry because a plan is in place should there be any job action. TransLink says a media blackout is underway on terms, so we don't know who wants what or how far away they are. TransLink also says it's part of the normal bargaining process for the union to consult its membership using a strike vote when talks break down

[/DIV]

purelife

P.C.

Seems like their timing is off.  Don't they usually strike when it has the greatest effect?  Like tourist season.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/p026.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.