your dreams/careers

Started by purelife, Apr 02 07 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

That sounds like a great idea, purelife.  It's totally creative, because you don't have to stick to the gov't curriculum.  School teachers are somewhat restrained that way.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

It's funny how when we were small, we would dream about being an astronaunt or the president or prmie minister, only to grow up with a smack of reality dose. Kinda sad but for the few who have never dreamt of being one and became one, I stand in awe of them. They believed in themselves, in their dreams and made them happen. I sure hope our kids will continue to believe.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

It's also tough to live up to your own dreams due to lack of support and money.  It's so expensive these days, to live in Vancouver, to study here, to afford a house, even.  

Some parents are the most supportive parents in the whole world and some, like mine, don't give a rat's ass!

Gopher

As a young child I had visions of being a magician somewhat in the manner of Merlin, I later changed this to a shepherd. Naturally both eluded me.    
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Devil

When I was young, I dreamt of being Chewbacca and Han's third co-pilot. As I got older and matured..ok, I never really matured, I wanted to work in an environmental field. Now I have a job I love, doing what exactly what I wanted to do.

I would still give it up to ride the Milleneum Falcon all day mind you

Lil Me

I would so volunteer for your crew, Devil.  I'd need laser eye surgery, because I don't even meet the qualifications for a pilot's licence on THIS planet.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

What a great thread purelife.  Kudos

....and great stories too.  

I'm with Lil Me....I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.
As far as dreams, I think I just dreamed that I WOULD grow up.  To some extent, I have not achieved my goals.

Goals and ambitions are elusive little enigmas.  Sometimes I remember wanting to be something or other when I was little, but also lacked whatever it was that allowed me to believe that it was an option for me....or availlable to me.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Since I was little I've always wanted to be a tv journalist in war zones or something.
Then politics came calling
Then I wanted to be a lawyer
Then I wanted to be a national park worker
Then it was back to politics
Then I wanted to work for the BBC World Service (news). (still would)
Now I want to be an urban planner, work for the city of vancouver or something and have a cottage in the mountains.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

I also wanted to become a nurse or a paediatrician(sp?).  I'm not too smart to go into med school though... :(((  

I know that I would enjoy being a nurse and would love it to pieces but I know that I would have no love life, no kids if I were a nurse.  There's no AND, there seems to be OR.  You either want a family OR become a nurse.  I'd be starting at the bottom working those long shifts and nights and get yelled at for a few years then maybe, move on up.  

At least, helping others and taking care of them is satisfying to me. :)))  

Sportsdude

well that's not necessarily true. All of the nurses at the hospital I worked at had kids, albeit you'd probably miss out on a lot.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Devil wrote:
When I was young, I dreamt of being Chewbacca and Han's third co-pilot. As I got older and matured..ok, I never really matured, I wanted to work in an environmental field. Now I have a job I love, doing what exactly what I wanted to do.

I would still give it up to ride the Milleneum Falcon all day mind you[/DIV]
     ROTFL. I'm with you, D. When you get a chance to become Chewie again, I will gladly be your one and only powerful Solo. *coughs furballs from mouth*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

greycat

I would need 10 lives to be all the things I am interested in being! Still working on the big dreams though...yes, smack of reality is right Lise...who ever dreamed of working in stupid office doing some boring job? Where is the passion? But the reality of making a living and living your dream sometimes dont jibe...sigh.  
It is what it is.

purelife

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]who ever dreamed of working in stupid office doing some boring job? Where is the passion? But the reality of making a living and living your dream sometimes dont jibe...sigh. [/span]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]Totally agree, Grey Cat.  Who wants to sit infront of a computer all day long and have your manager annoy you like crazy as well as some of the coworkers?  I couldn't just up and leave my job to pursue education because somebody has to pay for the bills.  I wasn't a silver-spoon-fed baby, either, that's for sure.  We just have to try to work our way up and try to make other areas of life more enjoyable....

greycat

I think the real answer is to be your own boss...well, for me anyway. My husband and I had our own business a couple years ago, it was the first time i really felt like i was doing what i was supposed to be doing. ALL my skills and talents were being used, which is much more than i can say for every company i have worked for before and after. In fact, my  job now is so slack i am learning absolutely nothing and doing very little! Its a joke. I do, however, like the fact that i am open to absolutely anything now...planning to move to the island and see what happens...  
It is what it is.

Marik

hahaha I keep chuckling at the idea that one day I'd like to direct the scariest horror movie ever. So scary that a whole bunch of people - no matter how young or old - in the theatre start screaming / crying like little girls!  

|