Do you remember air raid drills

Started by Cretin, Mar 31 07 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Brit_Guy

I went around my mothers house and asked her about WW2 sirens. The following is her recollection of those years, she was nearly 7 years old at the time.

She remembers laying across a small bunk at the back of the shelter. Laying there with blankets over her head and hands over her ears & wearing a gasmask, trying to block out the noise of the sirens & the bombs. Gran patting her back and saying `none of the jerry bombs had there name on'.

She then heard the " all clear" frightened encase they had no house left. During "the battle of Britain" my mother had to stay down there every night. They eventually came out, only to discover that the next street had a direct hit & her 3 year old cousin being  dug out of the rubble dead.

Those were my Mums recollection of the Sirens.

I remeber we had those drills in Soviet Russia.  

Gopher

Our WW2 air raid sirens are still operational, but now they're used for flood warnings.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

same here, we use it for flood and tornado warnings. Although I remember them doing the air raid sirens before the soviet union collapsed.  The sound was creepy.

The National Guard here still practices like we are going to get invaded, they do daily drills with their F-16's.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Orik

bless you all...for your memories and thank you for bringing this thread back on topic

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

|