Right or.....

Started by P.C., Mar 30 07 04:23

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Left.

Has anyone who is right handed tried to use their mouse with their left hand ?  ....and of course vice versa.  Holy mackeral that's hard.  It just doesn't seem like it should be that difficult    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

tenkani

I used to try stuff like that in an effort to become ambidextrous.

I had the same experience you did and gave up      :(

"A man's got to know his limitations".

-Dirty Harry
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

Dirty was a clever boy.

I can't even watch TV left handed.  It's pathetic.

purelife

hee hee... I just tried what you pointed out and OMG, it's tough.  My right hand is just soo used to gripping that mouse and moved around to left hand felt too difficult.  It was awkward.

There was this guy I knew that wanted to change his life routine because he was tired of all the mundane routine stuff so he started to brush his teeth with his left hand. :))  

P.C.

I can do that.....if I just hold my toothbrush and move my head back and forth.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/muede/n020.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

I can do both although my left is starting to slip on me.

How did I do this?
simple answer basketball.

For hours and hours and hours every weekend I'd dribble, shoot, grip the ball, everything with my left hand.
To the point that I started using my left hand to shoot on the left side of the basket and vice a versa.

I can bat in baseball lefthanded, not very strong though.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

it is a bit easier if you change your mouse buttons to reflect the 'change'.

while you are at it, try brushing your teeth with the other hand.

edit: ok, someone already mentioned this. so nm.    

Sportsdude

move to the UK and get a manual that would be challenging.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

No thanks!

I'd rather try driving with my feet and the steering wheel covered in vasoline     :(
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Lil Me

Mr LM does that all the time.  Left-handed person living in a right-handed world.  Golfs, scissors and mouses like a right handed person.  Switch-hitter in baseball.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Right handed for everything. Horrible when you have to work for a dentist who's left handed.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Invert

Whenever I begin to worry about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome due to pain in my right arm/wrist, I switch to mousing with my left. I've been mousing with the left hand for the last few months, in fact, and at this point I can't even remember having had any difficulty in adapting. Otherwise, though, I find it extremely awkward to attempt to change the performance of routine actions from one side of the body to the other:

I always hold the phone in my left hand against my left ear
                 place my right leg into my pants first
                 brush my teeth with my right hand

If you're feeling the need to swith hands because of pain, just keep at it: you will very soon have trouble even remembering that it was difficult at first.

P.C.

I always hold the phone in my left hand against my left ear

That's funny to hear you say that Invert....I always say...I can't talk on the phone left handed and hubby always laughs.  But the fact of the matter is, that I can't process what I'm hearing when I hold the phone with my left hand.

And when I said I can't even watch TV left handed ??? in way, I'm not kidding.  If I prop my head (in that position) on my left hand.....again....I can't process what I'm watching.

That was kind of my intent behind this thread, but wasn't sure how to (or if I wanted to...lol)  espress this 'oddity'.

Invert

So, P.C., you always hold the phone in your right hand up to your right ear (and you're right-handed)? Although I'm right-handed, I have a similar experience of not being able to process what I'm hearing well when I hold the phone to my right ear. Perhaps one can be right-handed and left-eared? (One might expect the same side to be dominant in both cases, but clearly that isn't always the case.)

How about the rest of you? Do you hold the phone up to the ear on your dominant side, or on the opposite one?

49er

P.C. wrote:
...  But the fact of the matter is, that I can't process what I'm hearing when I hold the phone with my left hand.

Ha!  I thought it's me only.....but I have the same problem.  I can hear but I process what I hear a lot slower than if the phone is on my right ear.

When I was a kid I broke my right hand and was in a cast.....I learned to write with my left hand but my lettering was slanted left