McDonald's: take "McJob" out of the dictionary

Started by TehBorken, Mar 22 07 06:53

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]McDonald's: take "McJob" out of the dictionary[/h3]McDonald's is taking action to get the word "McJob" taken out of the Oxford English Dictionary. Let's be clear: the job of a dictionary is to record language as it is spoken, and people clearly say "McJob" to mean a crummy job.

McDonald's Corp. on Tuesday restarted its push to get the word "McJob" removed from dictionaries -- and has set its sights on the gold standard of lexicons, the Oxford English Dictionary. From the point of view of the fast-food proletariat, the reason for the McLanguage offensive is clear: The word McJob, as the OED definition makes clear, is "depreciative." It goes on to define the term as: "An unstimulating, low-paid job with few prospects, esp. one created by the expansion of the service sector." It found its way into the dictionary in March 2001, 15 years after it was apparently coined by the Washington Post.[/p] "Dictionaries are supposed to be paragons of accuracy. And it this case, they got it completely wrong," Walt Riker, a Mickey D's McSpokesman complained to the Associated Press. "It's a complete disservice and incredibly demeaning to a terrific work force and a company that's been a jobs and opportunity machine for 50 years."[/p]Full Story: [a href="http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,472971,00.html"]http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,472971,00.html[/a]

Yeah, right, like a job at McDonalds is "stimulating" and "high-paying". Uh-huh....

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

ripper

Wow talk about denial. He's probably a lawyer. His lips are moving and the shit is flying.

Lise

Did they also forget to include.....

McPuke

McVomit

McDiseased

Bottom line: McD will always suck no matter how you dress it.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

McDon -"Oh my God, please stay out of my neighborhood"- alds.

kingy

Sarah

When I was younger I worked at McDonalds and as a young person you will never work harder in any other job at that age.  McDonalds taught me a lot of professional skills as I moved up into a management position before I left highschool.  The experience of working as a team and being a role model to other teenagers in my environment taught me a great deal of responsibility and compassion.  When employers hire me these days they often ask me questions about my experience at McDonalds and ignore the last 5 years of related job experience I've had simply because they know the rigorous training and testing McDonalds put us through.  I am very glad that my first job was at McDonalds, my work ethic might even be different if it hadn't been.  I know many of you will laugh at me and make comments about my reply to this topic but that's ok because anyone who advanced in the company and took the initiative to use McDonalds to invest in their futures will know exactly what I'm talking about.

P.C.

Sarah, I've seen that EXACT same paragraph somewhere else before and more than once.  Where is the source of that comment?  Just curious.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sarah

Um, I just made it up...and I've never said it before?  A lot of people feel this way, maybe some keywords stuck out?  A lot of positive people come out of McDonalds and we're all trained the same way and trained the same skills so it is definate that there are other people out there who feel the same way.  

P.C.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.