Feed Geese to Homeless People?

Started by Lil Me, Mar 26 07 01:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Vancouver goose population be culled and fed to homeless?

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
3 (50%)
Don't Care
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Lil Me

Bruce Allen suggested today on CKNW that the excessive number of Stanley Park geese could be fed to homeless people.  Apparently, Detroit is suggesting just that- serving Goose for Easter dinner!?
 News Link [a href="http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=3c0ac67a-1c35-4e56-9061-d8e297f50677&k=71745"]http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=3c0ac67a-1c35-4e56-9061-d8e297f50677&k=71745[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

I honestly dont really care... but it is a national bird is it not? Wouldnt that look bad with us eating our national birds? Kindve like the usa eating eagles?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

pitbullca.bc

LOL..but how do you think the east indians feel when we kill cows...aren't they holy there?

Lise

Yes. Why not? We have an abundant of them roaming around, they need to be kept under control so why  not?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

weird al

But....they're not organic! I say give them tofurkey.

Marik

YES!!! FINALLY A GOOD REASON TO GET RID OF THE GEESE!! I mean seriously, there are just too many of them around. For example Rocky Point Park (down by the docks in Port Moody) has geese crap EVERYWHERE!! It's almost impossible to not walk around there without having crap stuck to the bottom of your shoe. It's hard to enjoy the place with all the geese around. I don't know what it's like at Stanley Park since I haven't been there for awhile, but I'm assuming it's just as bad as Rocky Point.
Weren't geese hunted to near-extinction, and then Canada decided to make it a protected species? 50 years later or whatever, there are too many of these noisy, ugly geese roaming around in parks. It doesn't help that people feed them either.

pitbullca.bc

in all honesty...here...if a moose is roadkilled...the salvageable parts are donated to the hungries of our city

Russ

True on the cow idea.. but its not our national, uh, animal.

Its sacred to some.. but as we keep getting religious icons torn out of certain institutions by lawsuits and complaints, theres an obvious separation (as there should be) of church and state. IMO anyhow.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

GORDY GAMBINO

POOR LITTLE BIRDY..     FEED THE HOMELESS TO THE GEESE.
CAPO DI TUTTI CAPPI

Lil Me

lol Gordy.

Bruce Allen's full text was published today:
 [ul id="blog-list"] [li class="title title-local"]          [span class="blogtitle"]Easter Dinner[/span]          
          [span class="date"]Monday, March 26, 2007[/span]          [/li][li id="blog"] With Easter just around the corner we're getting ready to hear all the heartwarming stories about how we are feeding the homeless. We'll hear about all the well meaning volunteers who are down there on skid row handing out heaping portions of mashed potatoes, turkey and vegetables and a lovely dessert to top it off, makes you heart sing, doesn't it. Well here's one for you, Detroit has decided to take turkey off the menu and change that part of the dinner to goose, and where do you think those goose dinners are coming from? You guessed it, the streets of Detroit. Much like the streets of Vancouver where the non migratory geese are becoming more of a problem, Michigan officials are concerned about the ecoli problem that comes from the abundance of geese droppings. So it's time to cull the flock they think. Anyone who's walked through Stanley Park or around Lost Lagoon, or places like that, even the areas in the Concord Development in Yale Town know that you slip and slide your way through the goose dung trying to sip on your Starbucks. I think we should follow the lead of Detroit; reduce some of our goose problem and in doing so feed the homeless. Goose has been served as a holiday staple for centuries, just read Charles Dickens. I think it's time to revisit this tradition and kill two birds with one stone, pardon he pun. [/p][/li][li id="blog"]Source: [a href="http://www.cknw.com/shows/blog_allen_reality_check.cfm"]http://www.cknw.com/shows/blog_allen_reality_check.cfm[/a]
   [/li] [/ul]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

"Anyone who's walked through Stanley Park or around Lost Lagoon, or places like that, even the areas in the Concord Development in Yale Town know that you slip and slide your way through the goose dung trying to sip on your Starbucks."

wow if that doesn't sound elitist I don't know what does.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."