Who Quit

Started by P.C., Mar 25 07 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Oh Gawwwd....THANKS Lil Me.  I needed that !!!!!!  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Take that back I've quit 2 other jobs before.

When I was 14 I was an umpire at my local baseball diamond. I just gave up and quit. Couldn't take the abuse from abusive fathers yelling at me from the stands that I was drunk or blind.  Then I almost ejected a manager at 6 year old machine slow pitch baseball game over a call. He started yelling at me and saying crap. 6 YEAR OLDS!!!! WTF! Everybody got to bat, the games didn't mean anything, why get so bitchy! ugh!!!

Then the other time I quit was a caddie at a posh golf course. I didn't even make through orientation after I got the job. Me being a caddie to rich people just doesn't sit well with me.  I learned to play the game by walking and carrying the bag by myself, not to have some kid do it for me.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

There there PC... I feel for you... :)  Your happiness is first and foremost at a job...  When you leave, something better always comes around, always. :)  I know how it feels to be alienated and to feel "not wanted" at a job...it's better for your heart and soul that you don't work there.  Another job will appreciate you more than your current one. :))  

ADD:  *hands PC a kleenex*

Sportsdude

Yes P.C. quit.  Work must be in an enjoyable environment, if it isn't then you've got to move on find somewhere where you are respected and treated with respect.  

P.C.

P.C. - quit. You're better than the environment that your workplace has become. You were looking for a job when you found that one.

They changed.

You didn't.

There are healthy environments out there. You have the right to choose them. If you don't - who does?

Thanks weird al.  I know your take on this and you're so right (so is hubby....yer of like mind)  I know what this is doing to him by staying.

*actually I wasn't looking for a job when I found this one.....they actually asked me back....go figure.  That was 2 new managers ago.

mr pomegranate

I've been self employed in various ventures my whole life, so quitting was more a matter of throwing in the towel when a business became more painful and less profitable than it was worth.

I ran a printing business for a number of years, and started to really hate it, the squeeze on profit margins, heavy competition for a limited market, working with solvents and inks, accounts receivables growing and becoming a full time job trying to collect.... etc etc etc

I finally had enough and just shut it down one day, lived like a pauper for months and went on to the next phase of my life... best decision I've ever made :)

(funny, in the middle of that crisis I also broke up with a long long term girlfriend as well, so it was all a big time of change and upheaval, but looking back I am glad for it, stronger for it, and better off for it)  

purelife

Oh wow, Mr P.  Good for you, to take that risk and quit your job.  Sorry to hear about the breakup with your long term companion.  But, I'm glad to hear that everything turned out for the better and you have no regrets. :)))  

mr pomegranate

thanks, but yeah, at the time it felt like the world coming down on my shoulders... but time does heal and it is amazing how your perspective on things changes so much after just a short period of time, and even moreso years after!  what seemed insurmountable and like the end of the world at the time seems so minor a year or two later :)

purelife

I totally agree with you.  Bless you. :))  And when you look back, you can't believe that it happened to you. :)  

Lil Me

If it makes it easier, you could give reasonable written notice of your leaving (2 weeks).  That's what I did.  Blame it on your health, personal circumstances, planning a trip, whatever.  That way, you're quitting on your own terms and not burning any bridges.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Self employment is a toughie Mr Pom.  (nobody to take you seriously when you call in sick)

I hear you when you say that it was a good move......just takes a while to accept that, when you're about to make that final decision.

*are you still self employed?

P.C.

If it makes it easier, you could give reasonable written notice of your leaving (2 weeks).  That's what I did.  Blame it on your health, personal circumstances, planning a trip, whatever.  That way, you're quitting on your own terms and not burning any bridges.  

Point taken Lil Me.  Hubby actually had a resignation letter drawn up for me when I got home.  (again......not because he's domineering....but because I phoned him from work this morning (again)just to hear his voice so I wouldn't cry at work)

He was emphatic that I need not explain my purpose for leaving (they know) but to give reasonable notice as to fill my postion.

Sportsdude

independent study is a no no for me. I've felt like quitting but then that would be stupid.  

mr pomegranate

yes :)

I am doing ok now too :)

I don't think I could handle being in a regular job, now, actually... after you have roughed the entrepreneur way most of your life it becomes difficult to do anything else...

one important skill that is required is to be able to live under the stress of uncertain financial outlook at times.... there is no security in jumping in to this life path, but there are alot of plusses for those that are up to it

---

and PC, what I said is true, what seems so stressful and insurmountable now will have a way of working itself out and you will be looking back someday soon with a smile on your face :)      

Lil Me

Mr P.C. sounds very supportive.  And helpful.  

Sometimes we do need men to just listen and not "problem solve", though.  I've told Mr LM over the years that sometimes he just needs to be quiet and make "uh huh" noises.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|