Tell me something I didn't know...

Started by WS, Mar 25 07 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic

i luv raor

that must be why i don't wear lipstick :(  

i luv raor

I hope this isn't true, but I once heard somewhere that crushed ants were part of the ingredients for peanut butter. :(  

kingy

P.C.

Hmmm....and all this time I thought peanut butter was made from peanuts. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/c025.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Soma

I hear they sell *real* chocolate-covered ants at a candy store in ontario.  

WS

The more you know!  Knowledge IS power.  

Soma

& ignorance is bliss. :)  

P.C.

I've never bought into that old adage.  I've just always believed that ignorance is ignorance.

And anyways......I like ants.  Industrious little buggers.

Orik

that nice pink and or red coloring in many of our soda's yogurts and other foods comes from the crushed body of a insect

sorry to make you aware... go back to your ignorance...

Cochineal

Cochineal is the name of both crimson or carmine dye and the cochineal insect (Dactylopius coccus), a scale insect in the suborder Sternorrhyncha, from which the dye is derived. There are other species in the genus Dactylopius which can be used to produce cochineal extract, but they are extremely difficult to distinguish from D. coccus, even for expert taxonomists, and the latter scientific name (and the use of the term "cochineal insect") is therefore commonly used when one is actually referring to other biological species; suffice it to say that the reader should be aware that there is more than one cochineal insect. The primary biological distinctions between species are minor differences in host plant preferences, in addition to very different geographic distributions. D. coccus itself is native to tropical and subtropical South America and Mexico.

This type of insect, a primarily sessile parasite, lives on cacti from the genus Opuntia, feeding on moisture and nutrients in the cacti. The insect produces carminic acid to deter predation by other insects. Carminic acid can be extracted from the insect's body and eggs to make the dye. Cochineal is primarily used as a food colouring and for cosmetics.

After synthetic pigments and dyes such as alizarin were invented in the late 19th century, natural-dye production gradually diminished. However, current health concerns over artificial food additives have renewed the popularity of cochineal dyes, and the increased demand has made cultivation of the insect profitable again

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Soma

P.C. wrote:
I've never bought into that old adage.  I've just always believed that ignorance is ignorance.

Well if you're ignorant, then you don't know that you're ignorant, right? =)

Soma

Orik,

Thanks for telling us that... It was a suspicion that I didn't want to acknowledge.

Oh moments like this, I wish I was just ignorant.  :P

Orik

sorry soma... but this bit of info has been posted before...

i still eat yogurt... i just try not to think of how many of those bugs are needed to make it that nice pink colour...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Soma

That must be why I never liked Cream Soda.      

P.C.

I wonder why we're OK eating a pig.....and yet a few microscopic bugs make us hang up the feed bag.

Brit_Guy

In 1952, a Texas Tabby named Dusty set the record by having more than 420 kittens before having her last litter at age 18.

The average Human FARTS between 14-16 times a day.  

|