Tell me something I didn't know...

Started by WS, Mar 25 07 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

[font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"][font color="black" face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3"]Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned his wife or mother because they were both deaf. [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Wow.....now that's something I didn't know.  Bummer for Alex.....that's really sad.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

weird al

Kentucky blue grass is not blue.

It only looks blue.

scottie311

The lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls used to be engaged to the lead singer of 311.  

Define Orik

[h2 style="text-align: left;"][font face="Arial"][span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"] Top Ten Canadian Inventions [/span][/font][/h2][div style="text-align: left;"]  [/div][p style="text-align: left;"][font face="Arial"]In no particular order, and yes; we know  there are many more...[/font][/p][div style="text-align: left;"]  [/div]   [table style="border-collapse: collapse; text-align: left; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: auto;" bgcolor="#ff0000" border="1" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5"]     [tbody][tr]       [td bordercolor="#FF0000" bordercolorlight="#FF0000" bordercolordark="#FF0000" align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"]          [ol style="font-family: arial; font-weight: bold;"][li]         [p align="left"][font face="Arial"]AM radio
         Invented by :
[/font]
         [a href="http://www.canadians.ca/more/profiles/m/m_guglielmo_marconi.htm"]Guglielmo Marconi[/a][font face="Arial"]

[/font][/p] [font face="Arial"]          [/font][/li][font face="Arial"]          [li]         [p align="left"]IMAX projector and system
         Invented by :
         [a target="_blank" href="http://www.1570films.com/imax.htm"]Graeme          Ferguson,
         Roman Kroitor
         and Robert Kerr[/a]

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Telephone
         Invented by :
         [a href="http://www.canadians.ca/more/profiles/b/b_alexander_graham_bell.htm"]Alexander Graham          Bell[/a]

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Television
         Invented by :
         Reginald A. Fessenden

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Zipper
         Invented by :
         Gideon Sundback

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Music Synthesizer
         Invented by:
         [a href="http://www.canadians.ca/more/profiles/l/l_hugh_lecaine.htm"]Hugh LeCaine[/a]

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Electron microscope
         Invented by :
         Eli Franklin Burton,
         Cecil Hall,
         James Hillier,
         and Albert Prebus

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Trivial Pursuit
         Invented by :
         Chris Haney
         and Scott Abbott

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"]Basketball
         Invented by :
         [a href="http://www.canadians.ca/more/profiles/n/n_james_naismith.htm"]James Naismith[/a]

[/p]           [/li]           [li]         [p align="left"][font face="Arial"]Canadarm
         [/font]
[font face="Arial"]Invented by :
         [a target="_blank" href="http://www.k12.nf.ca/discovery/curriculum/technology/design/canadian_inventions/canada_arm/"]         Spar Aerospace Ltd[/a]
[/font][/p]           [/li]         [/font][/ol][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]  

Moolah!

[FONT color=#007f40][/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40]The nickname WS is associated with the smell of heavy machinery oil. But I don't know if you have any connection to heavy machinery of any sort, be it those used in manufacturing plants or auto engines. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40]One second please... [/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40]Ah yes, the auditory plane is confirming the olfactory: I'm also hearing machine sounds. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40]And the third confirmation comes from the tactile plane: I'm touching a cold metal bar, which is part of a larger structure. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40]Maybe I should get some sleep... [/FONT]
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

pitbullca.bc

people think that pitbulls...boxers...bulldogs...all have what is called lock jaw.  In fact..they do not...it is jaw strength and tenacity that keeps the dog hanging onto whatever it is that they are hanging onto..

ForShure

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten, thereby proving for once and all cats are smarter than dogs.

pitbullca.bc

LOL...doesn't make a cat smarter...just gives them more of an advantage to be annoying!! LOL...

Gopher

It's a year today since I registered with DS - I was just checking the stats and was surprised to come across this fact.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

ForShure

[FONT color=#482c1b][FONT size=4]Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.[/FONT] [/FONT]  

umm

[span style="font-weight: bold;" class="fact"]Crushed strawberries are useful for cleaning teeth and relieving sunburn[/span]  

umm

[span style="font-weight: bold;" class="fact"]It is impossible to sneeze and keep your eyes open at the same time[/span]  

Lil Me

A coffee tree produces 1.5lb of coffee per year.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

ForShure

Many lipsticks contains fish scales and crushed insect bodies.

|