Bug-sting Pain Scale

Started by TehBorken, Mar 24 07 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Bug-sting scale with funny definitions         [/h3] The Justin O. Schmidt Pain Index is a colorful entomologist's descriptions of the vairous pain levels of different bug stings. Justin is a guy who has been stung many, many times, and his descriptions are god-awful funny:
 [ul][li]1.0 Sweat bee: Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm.  [/li][li]1.2 Fire ant: Sharp, sudden, mildly alarming. Like walking across a shag carpet & reaching for the light switch.  [/li][li]1.8 Bullhorn acacia ant: A rare, piercing, elevated sort of pain. Someone has fired a staple into your cheek.  [/li][li]2.0 Bald-faced hornet: Rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.  [/li][li]2.0 Yellowjacket: Hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine WC Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.  [/li][li]2.x Honey bee and European hornet.  [/li][li]3.0 Red harvester ant: Bold and unrelenting. Somebody is using a drill to excavate your ingrown toenail.  [/li][li]3.0 Paper wasp: Caustic & burning. Distinctly bitter aftertaste. Like spilling a beaker of Hydrochloric acid on a paper cut. [/li][li]4.0 Pepsis wasp: Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath (if you get stung by one you might as well lie down and scream). [/li][li]4.0+ Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch nail in your heel.   [/li][/ul]  [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index"]Link To The Bug Sting Pain Scale[/a]      
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

How do you rate the tax sting?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

mr pomegranate

that is an awesome link borken!

I was hoping to find various spider bites in the list...

I have heard that a brown recluse bite is nearly painless, until the skin starts to fester and ulcerate the next week after

I wonder where a black widow bite rates, or a common wolf spider, etc?

Lil Me

I'd like to know why some people get bitten, and others don't.  Seems unfair, cuz I always get bitten.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I don't seem to be plagued too much by bugs...occasionally but not often.  I read somewhere once that fair people are less likely to be bitten by mosquitoes.  This might have something to it.  I'm quite fair and they don't bite me !
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Soma

Russ

I used to be nailed by mosquitos all the time when I was younger.. at one point I counted over thirty bites on one of my legs.

Now they dont really bother me.. maybe I stink too much now?

mr pomegranate

are those baby black widows?

a buddy and I were just talking today about this topic... he just saw his first widow of the season, I saw one about a month or so ago... the big ones are so creepy looking

Soma

I don't know.  They look like they have red eyes.        

Soma

More baby spiders.  Can you identify them?

Gopher

I've hardly ever got bitten, or stung, by anything at all - although once a nest of wasps decided to take temporary residence in my hair.

Russ

Gopher wrote:
 I've hardly ever got bitten, or stung, by anything at all - although once a nest of wasps decided to take temporary residence in my hair.[/DIV]
 Oh yeah? That must have sucked!

I didnt have that happen, but my closest thing is when my brother and I found a wasps nest in an older sailboat we had in the back yard. We quickly dropped the boat and tried to figure out to do next. We tried using a long stick to knock the nest but the wasps were too smart and stung us some more. lol.

We then decided to use a 'fogger' that we had.. get it started and spraying this spray that made us gag and choke. And instead of dying all the wasps came out and stung us. Afterwards (the neighbors at this point were pointing and laughing), we read the instructions and they said 'for mosquito and fly use only'. Hmm great, not for bees and wasps, AFTER we got stung by those flying fortresses.

We ended up going down to Ukranian Tire and buying two cans of bee killer each. We then wrapped ourselves in heavy clothes with toques.. and went out spraying this bees stuff in a pattern around us like a Roman Phalanx.

Frog

and if at night u had aproched the nest with a pair of womens nylons on a rounded coat hanger slipped it over the nest  then knocked it into the nylons twisting it closed and then dropped it in a bucket of soapy water you would have been stung far less...