Major DV announcement mods WANT you to see

Started by Moolah!, Mar 23 07 02:29

Previous topic - Next topic
|

oprah

...yeah, but then he changes his mind anyway in the end.  

So

you don't seem to like the way things are done on either forum.  you have heaps of criticism and neverending suggestions on how it should be done so why don't you start your own forum where you can make the rules as you see fit. of course you'll have to put up with people who don't like the way you do things, but...  meh

rly

Raging Poodle should totally start his own forum, then he can implement all this crap himself.  

Yes

I vote for Raging Poodle starting his own forum.  Raging Poodle the Admin!  That would be awesome.  

tenkani

Ok.  Might be a little stringent but I am surprised DV does not have any kind User Agreement whatsoever, not even an 'Enter at your own risk', before you go into the forums.

Unless things have changed, isn't there a warning before you make any post on DV stating that certain things are out of bounds? It may not go far enough for some people, but it's not like there is no guidance at all for what's acceptable.

As far as a "user agreement", that seems more appropriate for a board with registration.

I have mixed feelings about the whole "harassment" issue. I've seen posters persistently harassed by f*cktards because they couldn't deal with rejection. These are genuine stalker type situations where a poster becomes obsessed with the object of their desires and the obsession changes from unwatned effection to hatred. TUX is a prime example. SG is another. In those cases banning makes sense. But in other cases, a user makes enemies by stirring shit and provoking people, and then when they find themselves the victim of karma, they demand protection from the mods.

This is where the whole thing becomes incredibly subjective. If you crack down on all persistent grief, you remove the element of karma. Someone may feel free to make enemies, secure in the knowledge that they will be protected from the lingering effects of their own asshattery. A couple of great examples spring to mind but I will just leave it at that.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Moolah!

Ok, laundry is folded and dishes are done, so back to my commentary on what I think is behind this annoucement:

I might be wrong but If I'm perceiving this correctly, modulus comes across as a gentle soul.  I'm getting the impression that this is the kind of individual that loathes stepping on anyone's toes for fear of hurting that person.

And you've all seen the discrepancy between his perception and another mod's. They were practically polar opposites.

In this case, he appears to be stuck between a rock and a hard place:[/DIV]

On one hand he has his common sense tugging at his consience on matters pertaining to harrassment, bullying, intimidation, stalking, etc.

And on the other, he has the gentle side admonishing him: Don't hurt anyone!

So he made up that policy statement (which he wasn't even authorized to decide on anyway) simply because he perceives that is what's expected of him if he wants to get along with everyone without hurting anyone:

"... there will be no deletions or banning for harrassing, stalking, insulting, flaming posts."

It's actually an ethical dilemna.

He doesn't want to let anyone down.

He doesn't want to hurt anyone...

So he might as well give an advance warning to everyone that [FONT color=#000000]from now on you can not count on me to do what I'm here to do. Because if I take action there's another mod opposing my decisions, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. [/FONT]

The way I see it he can not even say "I quit" because if he did, he would be implicating a fellow mod.

So in his confusion he creates a senseless policy statement.

He might end up getting burnt for it - because he was the one who posted it. (Although it was posted because of someone else.)

It's almost like an invitation: I can't quit, so fire me.

I wonder what the media would think if they became aware of these latest changes. Because they were asking Mike during the interview, why is there constant racism and filth on DV?

Because of situations like this.  [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_tongue.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

orly

You are comparing RACISM to someone picking on your psycho girlfriend? lol! You are too much.  

tenkani

After consulting with other mods, I and the others were not happy with the current limbo that the discretionary situation with harrassment etc. policies. We have come to a decision   This was poorly worded and gives the sense that some sort of consensus was reached by the mods, which is obviously not the case. A good rule of thumb would be, don't issue a semi-official policy statement unless you can find consensus (and also get a thumbs up from management).

It would have been nice if you also mentioned the ongoing rash of deletions of posts and threads ciritcal of the mods and that those, too, would be left alone. I witnessed several of these deletions myself (axing threads where good questions and rational criticism was being raised) and if you think the deletions are somehow improving the situation you're dead wrong.

Moolah !

So wrote:
you don't seem to like the way things are done on either forum.  you have heaps of criticism and neverending suggestions on how it should be done so why don't you start your own forum where you can make the rules as you see fit. of course you'll have to put up with people who don't like the way you do things, but...  meh

Quoted for truth. As for this:

[TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"] [DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"]You are comparing RACISM to someone picking on your psycho girlfriend? lol! You are too much.  

She's only my imaginary psycho girlfriend. We come together only when we're by ourselves.

[/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"] [TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD class=smalltext align=left width="100%" colSpan=2][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom align=left][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"] [TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD class=smalltext align=left width="100%" colSpan=2][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom align=left][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

TehBorken

[strong style="font-style: italic;"]"[/b]... there will be no deletions or banning for harrassing, stalking, insulting, flaming posts."

Did I misread that, or did he just give everyone a blanket license to harass, stalk, insult, and flame with no consequences? And this person was handpicked as to be a moderator??

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

Handle jacking on DS is hard lol.  

tenkani

Read the whole thread, TB.

Basically he later says that mods can use their own judgement and I think he says true harassment can be dealt with. I happen to agree with the spirit of the new policy generally speaking, but it was handled TERRIBLY. Don't mix flaming and stalking in the same sentence for instance. Flaming is an integral part of the beauty of DV. Stalking is a loaded word...man I don't know why he went there.

Still, it's nice to see that they're at least thinking of taking a more hands-off approach to deletions over on DV. Lately some of the DV mods have been deleting posts from the shadows without any good reason except that they rub them the wrong way. I'm sure you can understand how that would concern someone, right?

helper

This is the thread where the flaming was discussed:

http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=149720

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Lately some of the DV mods have been deleting posts from the shadows without any good reason except that they rub them the wrong way. I'm sure you can understand how that would concern someone, right?[/div]
If you're referring to the two posts I deleted the other day, then yes. I already said that was me and that I was cranky.

If you're referring to the other post you made in the 'smites' thread asking if someone had deleted your last comment, then no. I didn't remove it and I don't any sign that a post was removed from that thread in the logs.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

what

|