Major DV announcement mods WANT you to see

Started by Moolah!, Mar 23 07 02:29

Previous topic - Next topic
|

TehBorken

Knower wrote:
Well, I guess the theory over there is that it isn't a daycare centre and [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]adults[/span] should know what they are getting into on an anonymous board.  

That's a nice theory.

But I know for a fact that a lot of people actually mind being stalked, having their home life in the real world messed with, and all their personal data published to the web. It's all fun and games until your home phone, wife's picture, and your Social Security number get posted on a public bulletin board. Then suddenly it's not so funny. And unfortunately, a lot of adults don't know what they're getting into on a supposedly "anonymous" bulletin board.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

guessed

Oh I don't think that's what's going on over there at all, no private information is being divulged. It was just someone flaming someone, child's play.  

purelife

You've got to be kidding me.  Adults "should" know what they're getting into?  For goodness sake.  Why do you think that the NBC (or whatever Network it is) constantly does shows about the "Internet" world full of Preys who like to go after younger girls?  These are adults and some of them are married with kids.    

purelife

guessed wrote:
Oh I don't think that's what's going on over there at all, no [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]private information is being divulged[/FONT]. It was just someone flaming someone, child's play.

That's funny!  I recall "real" names used on DV.  I recall seeing tenkani's real name but with *** in between the letters smeared over on DV by some hater.  As well, I've seen IP addresses posted by the mods.  Oh, and I've also seen Kits who had accidently copied his email signature on a post and then some troll copied and pasted his contact details all over DV.  

ritch

Well, that's not what was going on over there last night, read the threads about which this is all referring to, then  you will understand. I know you all have major history over there, but this isn't what they are talking about at all. It's called flaming, not harassing.  

lol

[TABLE id=Table2 style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR bgColor=whitesmoke] [TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" vAlign=top align=left]X[/TD] [TD colSpan=2][img title="" height=15 alt="" hspace=3 src="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/icon_posticon.gif" width=15 border=0][FONT size=1]Posted - 3/23/2007 8:18:56 AM[/FONT]  [HR noShade SIZE=1]  Alright, to my fellow mods. From the unneccesary thread deletes to these "new policies" that you're not really in postion to be making, I have no part of this, and I am going to mod as I always modded from the beginning before all of you were even mods (except for mod1dv).

Sorry I'm stating this publically, but if I am not in agreement, then I can't support these 2 person decisions

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]  

Do I sense a discrepancy between the mods?

purelife

LOL, I love how X speaks his mind.  I like his "no bull-shit, take no prisoners" attitude.  DV needs to clone X. :))))

TehBorken

[font style="font-family: Times New Roman;" size="1"]Posted - 3/23/2007 8:18:56 AM[/font][br style="font-family: Times New Roman;"][span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Sorry I'm stating this publically, but if I am not[/span][br style="font-family: Times New Roman;"][span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]in agreement, then I can't support these 2 person decisions[/span]

[font style="font-weight: bold;" size="4"]Uh-oh, Trouble In Paradise. [/font]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

guessed

The most ironic and funniest part of all of this is that (some of them) are sticking up for a certain person who caused a [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]lot[/span] of trouble over here and on DV!  

purelife

Who is "some of them" and who are they sticking up for?  

guessed

X is arguing against the new policy and apparently sticking up for Raor who was whining to the mods last night incessantly.  

orly

Huh? In that thread? I don't see anybody sticking up for raor.

James Dean

Sounds like there is more than one "academe like" mods now.

I smell some demodding coming on remember what happened last time that one mod got pissed off then the time before that lol

Moolah!

Last night after posting a couple of messages on DS (mostly addressed to modulus) it dawned on me this morning that there's more to this story than meets the eye.

I believe at a symbolic level, this so called major policy announcement is modulus' way of saying "I quit".

There may've been some disagreements before, but push came to shove last night when raor asked for modulus' help in dealing with a repeat harrasser:

At that moment ydv jumps in in her capacity as a mod, and completely ignores and denies that any kind of harrassment was taking place.

[TABLE id=Table2 style="COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; 10pt: " cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR bgColor=gainsboro] [TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" vAlign=top align=left]ydvmod[/TD] [TD colSpan=2][img title="" height=15 alt="" hspace=3 src="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/icon_posticon.gif" width=15 border=0][FONT size=1]Posted - 3/22/2007 11:31:34 PM[/FONT]   [HR noShade SIZE=1] [FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]maybe if you would leave me alone i would ask the mod to just delete the offending posts and  let you go with a warning, but you use so many handles to abuse me.  how could i get the reassurance you'll stay out of my way?[/SPAN][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]if you're willing to leave me alone (under any nickname), i'm willing to ask the mods to only give you a warning instead of a second banning.[/SPAN]

I don't think it works that way raor. You can't ask for someone to be banned only cause you don't like them or cause they say things you don't like.

Harassment and stalking are what happens over several threads and over several days. It usually involves posting personal information of a poster and I don't think either is the case here.

As a matter of fact, if you look at it that way, your constant accusations that a certain poster[/FONT][FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"] is harassing you[/FONT][FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"] (even though the posts you are referring to are posted anonymously), are also a form of harassment.
[/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

Contradicting herself, twisting and deliberately misinterpreting everything enough to suggest that raor is the one perpetrating the harrassment.

She confounds the issue further by making it as difficult as possible to identify who's actually harrassing her:

[TABLE id=Table2 style="COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; 10pt: " cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR bgColor=gainsboro] [TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" vAlign=top align=left]ydvmod[/TD] [TD colSpan=2][img title="" height=15 alt="" hspace=3 src="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/icon_posticon.gif" width=15 border=0][FONT size=1]Posted - 3/22/2007 11:47:03 PM[/FONT]   [HR noShade SIZE=1] [FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]She is the one who always harasses me - to the point of finding it necessary to ask for assistance in dealing with the matter, from the moderating team.[/SPAN]

There are at least three different posters among those that you identify as being only viv. I don't think mods should ever interfere in cases like this. It becomes different when personal information and/or RL details are revealed.
[/FONT][/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

(Hello? You're the mod, you're the one who has access to IPs. So how hard is it to identify and warn those individuals?)

But no, DV mods are potted plants. They're not supposed interfere. Even when harrassment goes on for weeks and months, spanning across a number of threads... (I'm speaking from a variety of past incidents, not just this one.)

Anyhow at that moment modulus shows up, and after a quick examination of the case he makes his decision known:

[TABLE id=Table2 style="COLOR: midnightblue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; 10pt: " cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR bgColor=gainsboro] [TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" vAlign=top align=left]modulusruptura[/TD] [TD colSpan=2][img title="" height=15 alt="" hspace=3 src="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/icon_posticon.gif" width=15 border=0][FONT size=1]Posted - 3/23/2007 12:20:33 AM[/FONT]   [HR noShade SIZE=1] ok, the situation is as follows, I looked at the link that raor posted, at the beginning of the thread, and what viv has posted in that thread constitutes harrassment, in that it is a continued behaviour. the postings were completely off topic and were harrassing

viv does know that this kind of behaviour is not tolerated, and this is not a first offence

if there was ever any doubt in her mind that this kind of behaviour not be defined as harrassing, that doubt is no longer accepted and I am giving a FINAL WARNING

a ban is justified now, but I am giving one last chance, ANY HINT of this kind of harrassing behaviour toward any of the posters that you have been stalking will be dealt with with a long term ban of no less than a month

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

Note the strong wording, and how his judgement differs so dramatically from ydv's.

[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1](Got to fold the laundry. Epilogue to follow soon...)[/FONT]  
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Which proves...

...that the mods are not potted plants. Nor are they to be expected to see everything exactly the same way, every time, coming into the threads at different times. Are they supposed to be like the Borg, or might they be , god forbid, human like the rest of us, and fallible once in a while.

Remember DV is always worth the price of admission.

|