Tennessee senate wades into abortion fight

Started by TehBorken, Mar 10 06 07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Tennessee senate wades into abortion fight

By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II
Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The state Senate on Thursday passed a proposal to amend the Tennessee Constitution so that it doesn't guarantee a woman's right to an abortion.

The 24-9 vote was the first step of many toward officially amending the state constitution. The measure would go before voters if the General Assembly approves it twice over the next two years.

The state Supreme Court has ruled that the Tennessee Constitution grants women a greater right to abortion than the U.S. Constitution.

Abortion rights supporters are attacking the measure as a stepping stone to prohibiting all abortions in Tennessee if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the landmark abortion decision in Roe v. Wade.

"The resolution is an all-out attack on the women of Tennessee and seeks to rob women of their right to make choices about their own health, safety and personal welfare," said Hedy Weinberg, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee.

Sen. David Fowler, a Republican sponsor of the bill, proposed a similar resolution last year that cleared the Senate but stalled in a House committee.

"I regret this will cast me as being hardhearted, unsympathetic and unkind but that's not who I am," Fowler said.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

Did you know Tennessee is also trying to ban sex toys.[/DIV]There doing the same thing in missouri. It will go on the ballot in nov. blah, blah, blah. I wish the damn idiots would just start there own country leave the normal people alone.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Did you know Tennessee is also trying to ban sex toys.[/DIV]There doing the same thing in missouri. It will go on the ballot in nov. blah, blah, blah. I wish the damn idiots would just start there own country leave the normal people alone.[/DIV] [/DIV]I'd be curious to see how they would implement that. (heeheeeeeee)

I assume you mean the SALE of sex toys......not the USE. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/f010.gif" border=0][/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kits

hahahhaa

a battery opperated tooth brush doubles as a womens sex toy.....   for the travelling women on the go who doesnt want to be caught with a vibrator in her carry-on....  hahhaa

are they going to ban tooth-brushes next?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sportsdude

Tennesse isn't the only one.

[FONT size=6]State's sex toy ban back in court again
[!--end update of headline--][!-- update or delete byline--][!-- end update or delete byline--][!--story text goes here--][/FONT]
[FONT face="times new roman,serif"]HUNTSVILLE (AP) — The law that bans the sale of sex toys, but not their possession, in the state of Alabama is again being challenged. [/FONT][FONT face="times new roman,serif"]Michael Fees, a Huntsville attorney, represents a group of 10 people, all of whom have been fighting the state's ban on selling sex toys since the law was enacted in 1998. [/FONT][FONT face="times new roman,serif"]In a motion filed with a U.S. District Judge Lynwood Smith on Tuesday, Fees argued that a U.S. Supreme Court decision banning the criminalization of gay sex based on privacy issues also protects his clients' right to buy and sell sex toys. [/FONT][FONT face="times new roman,serif"]He argued that the state law is an unwelcome intrusion into his clients' bedrooms. [/FONT][FONT face="times new roman,serif"]If Smith decides to overturn the law, it will mark the third time he has done so. [/FONT][FONT face="times new roman,serif"]In 1999, Smith ruled against the law only to have it reversed by the 11th Circuit Court after the state attorney general's office appealed his decision. In 2002, Smith again ruled against the law, but a three-judge panel of the 11th Circuit overturned him[/FONT]. [!--end update of story text--][!--AP DISCLAIMERS:--][!-- use the first AP disclaimed with Staff/AP stories --][!--[font face="arial, helvetica" size=1]Copyright 2005 THE DECATUR DAILY. All rights reserved.
AP contributed to this report.[/font]--][!-- use the second AP disclaimer with AP stories--]

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote: State's sex toy ban back in court again
[!--end update of headline--][!-- update or delete byline--][!-- end update or delete byline--][!--story text goes here--]
[font face="times new roman,serif"]I'm so glad to see the court paying close attention to such important issues. f*cking morons.[/font][/p][font face="times new roman,serif"]Next on Geraldo! Should The Courts Ban Fingers?
[/font][/p]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

ROFL.........HAHAHAHHAAAAAA TehBorken.  That's the BEST.  TOO funny !!!!!
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

"We take the position that there is no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation."

- Pierre Trudeau on December 22, 1967 in the House of Commons

somehow this concept has been lost in america.