Account pretexters plague Xbox Live

Started by TehBorken, Mar 22 07 02:27

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[span class="headline"]Account pretexters plague Xbox Live

[/span]When Kevin Finisterre got his virtual guns handed to him in an online game of Halo 2 last Thursday, he called his opponents on their none-too-subtle hacks that skewed the game in their favor and turned the battle into a rout.

His opponents--who rarely died while racking up nearly 100 kills on Finisterre's team--didn't take the accusations well. Among a tirade of name-calling, one player threatened to steal his account, the security researcher told SecurityFocus.[span class="body"]  Finisterre did not put much store in the threat until the next day, when he found his girlfriend's account--which he had been using the day before--kicked off the system with a message that someone else was using her gamer tag on Microsoft's service, Xbox Live. Finisterre confirmed that he could no longer log onto the service, and a message on the Account Management page indicated that the account had been suspended.[/p][/span][div style="margin-left: 40px;" class="quote"][font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2"] "[span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(192, 0, 0); font-weight: bold;"]You guys (Microsoft and Bungie) can't even freeze our accounts. You are pathetic, a joke ... We aren't afraid of you one bit, so we will continue to steal accounts (and) max out credit cards until you find a way to stop us. [/span]"[/font]
       [/div]       [div class="quoteauthor"][div style="margin-left: 40px;"][font size="1"]       A statement on the Web site of Clan Infamous[/font]
[/div][span class="body"] The players that have stolen accounts are not shy about their activities. Several clans--the teams of players that have banded together to play first-person shooter games--have boasted online about their ability to steal accounts.[/p]  "We here at Infamous steal at least 10 accounts a day depending on there (sic) levels," claimed [a style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);" href="http://www.oinfam0uso.moonfruit.com/" target="_blank"]a site belonging to Clan Infamous[/a], which bills itself as "the best account stealing + boosting clan" in Halo 2. "If you talk s**t we will mod on your account until it is banned. If the levels on it are good, we will use the Credit Card on your account to then change the gamer tag."[/p][/span]Full Story: [a style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);" href="http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11452"]http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11452[/a]
       [/div][span class="body"][/span]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

interesting. glad I gave up on the halo 2 live.

I still play halo 2
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Marik

blah Halo 2 is boring... Gears Of War is much more fun (go play it)  

Russ

lol Marik, Im trying NOT to spend anymore money on new games.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

I bought 360 for christmas got gears of war have not played anything in months. Been too busy. Heck can not even get past the second level lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Marik

hahaha yeah Russ, it's probably a good idea to not buy any more games... but do try to play it if you get the chance.
and sportsdude, you serious? can't get by the 2nd level? (OMG n00b LOL)

Sportsdude

nope can't get passed the second level. The level with the water fountains.  

Marik

What's the difficulty level? It didn't seem that tough, but I was playing co-op with a friend (we kept getting owned later on though).  

Sportsdude

I think its at normal. Yeah I was going solo. The dumb idiots kept dying and I had to bring them back to life but at the same time getting myself killed. fun game though.  Can't wait for Assasins Creed though. I started shedding tears of joy when I watched the trailer.  

Marik

Maybe if the guys on your team aren't so huge, they wouldn't get hit as much hahaha. Those guys are bigger than the Spartans from 300!! And yeah my friend can't stop talking about that game (he's only seen trailers)  Looks really fun though. I told him he shouldn't play it because he'll get addicted to it which = lower grades.  

Sportsdude

lol true. If I get addicted to a game life sort of revolves around it. Sort of like me and Smallville. When I was taking a spanish college class last semester I was offered a tuesday-thursday in the evening but that would run into Smallville time. lol so I took the Monday-Wednesday class lol.  

Marik

Isn't that the show that was filmed in some big Vancouver high school? (never watched it) I guess you don't like taping shows either?  

Sportsdude

Hamber. It was filmed there until the characters on the show graduated high school.  Then downtown Smallville is the main street in Cloverdale.  The Kent Farm is on the border.  And Lex's castle is that famous castle/building in Victoria.

I watch the show and try to guess which building it is in real life.

Marik

hmm.. man you sure do know a lot about Van and you don't even live here
I don't watch TV much these days... too busy with video games (I know, I know, I should stop) except for Canucks games, but I only watch the 3rd period.
You watch Canucks games by any chance Sportsdude? (If you guys get CBC down there)

mr pomegranate

gee, I've been out of touch with the new consoles, but I was hoping that they had figured out a way to keep hacks at bay with the new stuff.... what a shame to hear otherwise

should probably just get a wii anyways, and forget about the online thing