What was your first computer?

Started by Future Canadian, Mar 10 06 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Future Canadian

Mine was (I thought) a TRS-80. I tried looking it up on the net but couldn't find a picture to post of it. It was a miniature version that plugged into the TV. Does anybody remember those? Maybe it was a 60 or something.[/DIV]My entire programming experience consisted of:[/DIV]1. print "f*ck you"[/DIV]2. goto 1[/DIV]giggle myself stupid

extra credit: How many times more powerful is your current computer?
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

TehBorken

I had an Atari 800 with 48K of memory and a thing calld the "Happy Drive" that let you copy any floppy known to man, heh heh. Hard drives were unheard of. The idea of owning a gigabyte of storage was so insanely ludicrous, you might as well have wished for your own personal Space Shuttle. It was just too silly to even consider. Now my smallest drive is 120 GB or so.

[div style="font-weight: bold;"][em]extra credit:[/em] How many times more powerful is your current computer?[/div]
Well, lets see. The Atari 800 ran at 1.79Mhz, so lets call it 2MHz for the sake of a nice round number. My current PC runs at 2.0Ghz and has 2GB of memory. So it's roughly 1,000 times as fast and has 41,667 times as much memory.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Should I dare admit ?????   Vic 20    *snicker*
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

extra credit: How many times more powerful is your current computer?[/DIV] [/DIV]I don't like ratio jokes.[img style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px" src="http://ghettobaby.net/Emoticons/hostedbyghettobabynetdonotdirectlinksheesh/laugh.gif"]

soapbox

does anyone remember this computer?

[TABLE bgColor=lightyellow border=0][TBODY][TR][TD]Introduced:[/TD][TD]July 1982[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Price:[/TD][TD]US $99.95[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]How many?[/TD][TD]500,000 in first 6 months[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Weight:[/TD][TD]12 ounces[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]CPU:[/TD][TD]Zilog Z80A, 3.25MHz[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]RAM:[/TD][TD]2K, 64K max[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Display:[/TD][TD]22 X 32 text[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD]hooks to TV[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Ports:[/TD][TD]memory, cassette[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Peripherals:[/TD][TD]Cassette recorder[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD]T/S printer[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]OS:[/TD][TD]ROM BASIC[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

TehBorken

soapbox wrote:
does anyone remember this computer?

Remember it? Hell, I still have nightmares about it.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Future Canadian

That's it! You found it! Thanks!
Oooo how I wanted a Vic20.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

They used to have the coolest 'mystery adventure' games.  There were no graphics, only text.  I found a site once that still has them.  The were similar to the 'find your way out of the room' games, but much more involved.  You collected your inventory to get you through various situations.  They were great !

CK

does Super Nintendo count?

P.C.

ROFL, CK.  Ye are such a babe....[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a207.gif" border=0]

CK

What?[/DIV]I was hooked on DK country!

P.C.

CK....What ?[/DIV](I was suggesting that the 'computers' are a reflection of our age)   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c033.gif[/img]

I LOVED DK country.  (still do every once in a blue moon)

CK

Actually, an older manager her showed me Pong online...wow!..Whoever invented Pong must be a rich dude though.

kits

I had a Commodor 64 and an Abbacuss both at the same time....  but then I was a rich kid!  lol  

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

P.C.

LOL kits.....THAT was our UPgrade.   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/d030.gif" border=0]