Going to a cabin advice

Started by Lise, Mar 21 07 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Hi!!

I'm a virgin when it comes to the outdoor. OK, granted renting a cabin isn't exactly roughing it but I've never stayed beyond a hotel or motel. Cabin to me means the wilderness to me. (I can hear Russ laughing away)

Anyways, I would like any suggestions or advice you can give to a novice like myself. What does one bring to a cabin? Should I expect anything? Do I need to pack a truckload of food items?

Thanks in advance.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Um, every cabin is different depending on where you rent it and what it comes with. I would suggest calling the place you are going to and asking what the cabins come with and if they do what you have to replace, what facilities are provided, and what you are expected to do.

I did lol at your post but mostly cause you mentioned me. Any way you get to teh outdoors is good in my books. I dont put down or make fun of anyone for the way they get to the outdoors.

(lol a CABIN?)  :):):)

I would suspect you would have to bring your own towels, asswipe, and food.. but it depends on where you are going and what type of cabin you are getting.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Devil

I guess for advice, I would have to know a couple things.

How secluded?

Close to a store?

On a lake or swimming area?

electricity with fridge and stove?

Showers?

how many people vs. beds?

Our cabin in the Okanagan is not secluded. We always but our boozes in AB because it is much cheaper. Other than that, we always buy our food there. It is not roughing it as we have electricity with a full kitchen and a dock with a boat, TV, DVD player, stereo, etc.    

Devil

I know when I was in my late teens to early 20s, I would go anywhere in the Coastal Mountains or Rockies with a tent, blanket, a small breakfast, and a bottle of vodka. Things changed a bit over the years. Still just happy to escape the city.

Lise

Hey thanks you guys! Blesses!!

I'm just trying to think of what to pack. The cabin does come fully equipped with a kitchen and what-have-you-not.... but I'm not sure what I can pack? Like bring steaks or sausages...? I have no idea if there's a shopping mall or grocery shore within the vicinity so I guess I'll ask the owners.

Here's the cabin description:

wood-burning fireplace, full kitchen, CD player, TV/DVD/VCR, full bathroom and a deck with a propane barbecue.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Devil

Oh! Just bring coolers full of the same food you would cook normally. I say coolers to keep your food in good shape for the drive. Not sure how big of a drive? That is the best part of camping, the cooking. I like putting condiments in smaller tuperware or smaller jars. like mayo, I just take a small amount and put it in a small jar, etc.

towels.

candles.

flashlights.

bag of weed...kidding.....(or am I??)

drinking water if not sure what water is like there.

Lise

That's a good idea, Devil, putting the condiments in a tupperware. I must remember to also grab a couple of those condiment packages from fast food places. And I'll bring a cooler. Not sure how I can fit that and a stroller into the car.
Bill Cosby.

Devil

Let us know how it goes. When are you going?

Lise

Middle of the year sometime. I can't wait though.....  
Bill Cosby.

Hahaha2

Lise wrote:
   Here's the cabin description:

wood-burning fireplace, full kitchen, CD player, TV/DVD/VCR, full bathroom and a deck with a propane barbecue.[/DIV]
 Dang, that sounds like a fancy hotel to me!  That's no roughing it especially if the bathroom is actually indoors and with running water.  I'd ask the owners how far the nearest grocery store is.  I suspect probably less than 20 minutes away so might as well buy your food there, especially if they have farmers' markets, instead of hauling it all there.  

Russ

Most grocery stores in smaller places charge twice as much and have half the selection. I would plan on bringing most of the specialty or exxpensive items with you. Things like buns, hot dogs and burgers plan on buying there.

that cabin is a house on the lake. No issues there I would suspect. If you are going somewhere on the island like tofino.. you will pass thorugh port alberni. Theres a walmart and extra foods there so you can buy everything you want there.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Woohoo! Thanks Haha and Russ. I'll keep my eyes peel out. Believe me all this advice and information will come in handy. Thanks again!
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

zoom zoom should have a fun time taking the roads.
bet the drive will be a vacation of itself.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

i love camp fire hotdogs!

P.C.

Me too kingy.  They are the BEST !

You know kingy....I've never figured out if you're a young older man....or an old younger man.

You're an enigma. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c024.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.