income tax help

Started by kingy, Mar 20 07 01:54

Previous topic - Next topic

kingy

what line do i put the credit for the transit card? ive look at their website and it wasnt much help.

purelife

Are you using an online program like QuickTax Web or UFile?  If you are, the Transit Tax is there.  Let me check on my package tonight to find out which line it is.  

For anyone who cares, if you're a VanCity Member, you can do your taxes online through QuickTax Web for $15.99 where it regularly costs $19.99.

kingy

much appreciated purelife!

im doing it without any software. mine isnt that complicated. just the normal t4, t5, and rrsp's.

purelife

Ok, found it.

It's Federal Line 364.  Under Other Deductions.  Transit Passes from July to December.  

Don't know if you know, but you don't have to send these in.  Just keep in your file in case they ask to see (must keep for 7 years)  

purelife

Just some more general information for anyone who cares:

Ufile is free if your income is less than $25,000.

Filing through either Ufile or QuickTax Web online is very convenient especially when you use the NetFile system.  It costs under 20 bucks.  I found out that no paperwork needs to be sent to CCRA if you file through NetFile but you must keep your documentation and backup for at least 7 years.  

Please correct me on the above if I'm incorrect.  I found these things out today and was excited to know how EASY it is to do taxes online.  I highly recommend it. :)))

Russ

I pay 200 a year and get an accountant to do mine. Its overly complicated cause I work out of the country and dont get T4's or anything. They wont let me do my taxes online either for some reason. lol.

Sorry Im no help kingy.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Hahaha2

I use CuteTax.  They have very detailed line-by-line instructions and help with calculating tuition and education transfers and carry-overs.  I've tried all the on-line tax programs and CT was the only one that made sense to me.  Plus it is a cute name!

kingy

thanks purelife!

no wonder i couldnt find it, it was not on the normal 4 page form but on the schedule 1.

purelife

You're welcome kingy!  So, are you getting a refund?  Did you remember to claim $250 just for being employed?  I didn't even know that until I saw it deducted on my income tax on Ufile!   Sweet! :))))

kingy

getting about $700 bux back :)

yep, i noticed the 'employment' credit, altho i do wonder how many other credits/deductions i miss. i guess in theory, you can almost claim anything especially if you are self employed.