What happened to my smites?

Started by Adam_Fulford, Mar 18 07 06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

I just noticed a sudden disappearance of my smites and an abundance of blessings for me. This is most mysterious.  But, I do feel reassured that the cosmos are in order by the presence of 9 new smites that someone (hopefully, a  Bush-loving conservative) has been taking offense to me.  

bad kitty

lol, are you 'mustafa a' on dv? :)  

Moolah!

I'm afraid I'm partially responsible for the disappearance of your smites, Adam.

I can't remember exacty where but in a recent thread I used your case to illustrate how arbitrarily the smite system works - ie. how you get smitten every time you say anything, regardless of what you say.

Anyhow the following day admins acted on that and readjusted your score.

Now for the first time in the history of DS, I, the great Raging Poodle!, has higher smite score than the ever hated Adam Fulford. [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_big.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]        
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

bad kitty

are you proud of yourself m? :)

try beating the -100 score of teh angah. :D

Moolah!

bad kitty wrote:
are you proud of yourself m? :)

try beating the -100 score of teh angah. :D

[FONT color=#00bf60]Last I remember hers was at -70, did it exceed -100 before she deleted the account?[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bf60][/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bf60]If mine drops by 10 points every day, I should be able to beat that in less than a week...[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bf60]It all depends on how often female will be able to make it to DS, since these changes seem to be happening whenever she's around. [img onclick=smile(this.src) src="http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/yes.gif"][/FONT]

bad kitty

Raging Poodle
you're not notorious enough to get smote to high hell on here. :)

Moolah!

bad kitty wrote:
Raging Poodle
you're not notorious enough to get smote to high hell on here. :)

[FONT color=#00bf60]You don't need notoriety to be an object of obsession. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bf60]Want proof? Check my smite score. It just dropped by another point...  [img onmousedown=travesmilie(this.src); height=28 src="http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/mini/small-smiley-003.gif" width=14][/FONT]

Lil Me

Raging Poodle- you're the bad boy on the block.  You're the guy my mother warned me about.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Ma motha told me there would be dayz like this. ;)  (quoted for truth, right tenkani? )  

tenkani

Why do you bring me up???

Nobody saw me do it!!    

Teh smite system is anonymous!!!!1

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Moolah!

tenkani wrote:
 Nobody saw me do it!!    

Teh smite system is anonymous!!!!1

I think that's part of the problem.

The smite/bless system in and of itself is an interesting idea. But the way it's currently implemented makes it totally ineffective.

In order for the smite system to have any consequential value at all, people need to be able to see which messages are attracting the blesses and smites.

I can't remember thread titles very well, but I do remember Bork asserting  in a recent thread that a smite score indicated a consequence for people's actions.

To me, that consequence is a very haphazard one. It's more like a drive by shooting, rather than a direct and proportional reaction to someone's past action.

tenkani

Yeah, I don't remember the thread either but I thought his point was that if you see your smite total rise over a long period, rather than in a day or two, then you should take it as a sign that you are repeatedly bringing heat on yourself.

But your point is well taken, when I've gotten smites I really had no idea what particular comment of mine brought them on (although I'm sure the neg karma was justified).

I try not to read too much into karma scores, because they can be arbitrary. On the other hand, when I see someone stirring shit right and left and they end up with a high smite total I don't consider that to be a conspiracy. It's just the nature of the beast.

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:
I can't remember thread titles very well, but I do remember Bork asserting  in a recent thread that a smite score indicated a consequence for people's actions.

Yep, that's about it. People rarely get a boatload of smites for no reason.  

To me, that consequence is a very haphazard one.

What's your point?  That there ought to be  harmony and fairness and justice, just like in the Real World? Please remember that the web is just an abstracted model of the Real World, with all its warts and candy, joys and hatred. Don't count on it being better or fairer or cleaner...you'll just end up being kinda disappointed.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

WoeIsYou

^^^ What he said, another great rendition.  

tenkani

Um...did someone delete my last post in this thread?