Respect etc.

Started by Gopher, Mar 23 07 03:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Can you think of any famous person you've always respected and looked up to?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Aretha

[dl][dd]R-E-S-P-E-C-T[/dd][dd]Find out what it means to me[/dd][dd]R-E-S-P-E-C-T[/dd][dd]Take care . . . TCB[/dd][/dl]                             -- Aretha Franklin

ripper

Terry Fox. What he did was from the heart and not some phony feel good publicity. God bless his soul.

pitbullca.bc

my father....he showed me how to be strong...showed me about the woods...the animals...people...and since his heartattack...he has shown me that even what is strong can be weak.

Lil Me

Terry Fox

Rick Hansen

Martin Luther King

Franklin Graham

Bono

and also...

Jack Ryan

Joe Cool

Jean-Luc Picard  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Devil

I always respected Prince. He never followed music trends, he made them. That, and he always had about 3 or 4 very hot woman around him at all times..

TehBorken

Devil wrote:
I always respected Prince. He never followed music trends, he made them.

He also stood up to the record companies and basically hosed them when they tried to take advantage of him. That's what that whole deal about changing his name to an [a style="color: rgb(0, 0, 191);" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_%28musician%29#Name_change"]unpronouncable glyph[/a] was all about.

As for me, I've always admired the [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi"]Amazing Randi[/a].

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

purelife

There's a difference between respecting a celebrity versus admiring one.  I admire many celebrities who have fought in his/her lives, but I have never met any of these people to determine if I "respect" them.  Respect works both ways.   my two cents.

Just curious, what does respect mean to you?  

TehBorken

purelife wrote:
There's a difference between respecting a celebrity versus admiring one.  I admire many celebrities who have fought in his/her lives, but I have never met any of these people to determine if I "respect" them.  Respect works both ways.   my two cents.

I agree, that's why I said I "admire" instead of "respect" for Randi. I do respect Prince, not because he's a celebrity, but rather, in spite of it. He refused to be cowed by the big music corps and stood his ground. So, for me, I gotta respect that for what it's worth.

Just curious, what does respect mean to you?  
I don't know. I guess it has something to do with acting against one's own best interests in pursuit of something I'd consider more noble or for the greater good.

P.C.

[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]Just curious, what does respect mean to you?[/SPAN]  

Excellent question purelife.....and it's interesting you used the word admiration.

For me respect falls somewhere in the middle, or a combination of those.  I have respect for someone who's gained my admiration.  But I usually find what I admire in others that leads to respect.... is integrity, honesty, noble accomplishments and the ability to communicate with anyone in an eloquent or kind way.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Sorry about that TB.  I didn't even read your post above mine.  I just read the initial post and responded.

TehBorken

purelife wrote:
Sorry about that TB.  I didn't even read your post above mine.  I just read the initial post and responded.

No problem, I liked your question. There's a big difference between admiration and respect.

kingy

i think you admire people for what they do, you respect people for who they are.

P.C.

Now THAT is profound !

I think that's within the same realm as I'm thinking....but I don't think I could have summed it up that way kingy. Major blessings in your direction......(and I seldom announce these things)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.