You know you're from Vancouver if...

Started by Devil, Mar 15 07 06:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil

1) You know what these acronyms mean: PNE, VPL, VAG, YVR.
2) You know the names and locations of at least three beaches, and could give a speech on the cultural difference between Wreck and Kitsilano Beach.
3) You know what a binner is.

4) If you hear that someone is doing the Grind, you know they are not at work.
5) You've had California roll for lunch.
6) You can tell the difference between fresh, previously frozen, and farmed salmon, and you have a philosophy about them.
7) You don't even listen when the forecast announces "chance of showers."
8) If there's a day of snowfall, however, you do not go to work.
9) You know that West Vancouver, the West End, and the Westside are three different places.
10) You know what an orca looks like.

11)You are proud NOT to be from the USA, yet you are in the USA almost every second weekend.

12) Having a bong on the kitchen table is pretty much expected.
13) The phrase "someone's shooting in the alley" doesn't make you think of guns.
14) You can't imagine what a front yard would look like without green grass and green leaves.

15) You can golf in February, the rest of Canada has to wait a wee bit longer.

16) Your think there may be another sports team in town besides the Canucks, but you don't really care to find out.
17) You had a barbecue at the beach, in the rain.
18) You've strolled along the Drive.
19) You can always tell where north is.

20) Even though half of Vancouver are originally from Toronto, you HATE Toronto with a passion.

Sportsdude

1) VPL- Vancouver Public Library, YVR- Vancouver International Airport
2) Wreck, Kits, Spanish? Wreck is a nudie beach, Kits isn't
3) I have no clue
4) Yup that means climbing Grouse Mountain (not the cheating way)
5) Don't know
6) I might be able too
7) Its Vancouver its suppose to rain, much like southern florida
8) Probably not, I mean it doesn't snow a lot in Vancouver no?
9) Yup West End is by Stanley Park, West Vancouver is north of Vancouver and west of North Van, westside I'm going to guess UBC area
10) Shamu
11) not proud of being from the US even though I live in it
12) Nope- although probably if I lived in Van
13) As a saint louisian it does, but Vancouver means heroin addicts
14) Nope, never although I've got weeds
15) I've golfed in January once
16) Go Vancouver Grizzlies!
17) that would be awesome
18) Commercial Drive? (I'm guessing here)
19) The Mountains
20) I don't like Toronto

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

10) You know what an orca looks like.

Yep. She's hawt.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Devil

lol! Good one Lise!

(pssst...yer hawt 2!)

Moolah!

[FONT color=#00007f]I'm always amazed by how much SD knows about a country, let alone a city, he's never been in. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#00007f][/FONT]

[FONT color=#00007f]Here're the explanations for the only 2 he didn't know about:[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00007f]3) [/FONT][FONT color=#00007f]I just checked; Google doesn't have a definition for "binner". [/FONT]

[FONT color=#00007f]Didn't know it was a local expression. It's another term for dumspter diver.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00007f]And 5) Cali roll is a type of sushi:[/FONT]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

kingy

i dont think you have to live in vancouver to hate toronto. do people in alberta hate them as much as we do?

Sportsdude

Raging Poodle! wrote:

[font color="#00007f"]I'm always amazed by how much SD knows about a country, let alone a city, he's never been in. [/font]

Thanks Raging Poodle.

The answer is quite simple actually.  After the '04 election I was devestated, and I went searching for answers.  I did what not very many americans do I wanted to see what was out there, outside of the US.
So for the past 3 years I've read everything and anything on practically every country in the Western World.  I always had a strong footing in Geography (in high school I finished the year with 150% A+ in the class) and then History has always been my strong suit and politics.

Found Vancouver, liked the city and just been pretty much studying it everyday since.  For Canadian history I got cbc.ca archives on their website.  For British history I have the BBC archives at bbc.co.uk.

I play a little game with the tv show Smallville. Everytime they do an outside location scene I guess where it is. lol

But I have been to Canada. Been to southern Ontario, the 401 region from Windsor to London to Brantford to Hamilton and then to Niagra Falls.

To stay up with Canadian news that's the easy part really, I read Chantal Hebert's columns in the Star, I read the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, ctv.ca, cbc.ca, and I struggle through la presse.  Oh and I listen to CBC Radio 1 on my Sirius reciever. Listen to Cross Country Check Up with Rex Murphy every Sunday.  Thought about calling in once, but I didn't think I'd get on.  When I'm listening to the CBC on Sirius I feel like I'm the only one listening in the states.

Plus then I listen to CBC 3 and Bandepart (the french version of 3 with Quebec bands)

I guess in the future I'm setting myself up for a job as person on U.S.- Canadian relations.

:)

[/div][div][font color="#00007f"][/font]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

SnailEatSnail

[FONT color=#ff7f00]i find it disturbing to see a person who has never been to Vancouver "claim" to know as much about Vancouver than your average person living there.[/FONT]

phillytomcat

kingy wrote:
i dont think you have to live in vancouver to hate toronto. do people in alberta hate them as much as we do?
what's with the hatin on TO? I am an American and don't get it? Please enlighten me

i wish

1.  you carry umbrella and raincoat everywhere.

2.  so used to running from the rain that you find yourself accidently running when it's not raining.
"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth, " Albert Einstein.

i wish

"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth, " Albert Einstein.