PQ Leader Boisclair refuses to apologize for Asians remark

Started by Sportsdude, Mar 15 07 01:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

pathetic.

A Montreal race relations group is calling on Parti Quebecois Leader Andre Boisclair to apologize for a remark he made about Asians.   But Boisclair refused to apologize Thursday for having referred to Asian students as having "slanting eyes.''
[/p]"I have no intention of apologizing,'' he replied when asked what he meant by his choice of words.   [/p]The PQ leader, who was campaigning in Quebec City, said it's a term he uses frequently.  Boisclair was speaking to students on Wednesday about his studies at Harvard when he made the remark.   [/p][a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070315/boisclair_eyes_070315/20070315?hub=Canada"]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070315/boisclair_eyes_070315/20070315?hub=Canada[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Didn't Prince Philip once make some similar remark about the Chinese?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

I have no idea but this is totally repulsive.

Gopher

It is. It also caused quite a stir when PP said almost the same thing. People in 'important' positions very often don't seem to have the common sense of an oyster.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

Que sera sera. You get all sorts of people in this world.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

[h2]Boisclair won't apologize[/h2]
[h4]Slanting eyes' remark. Nothing wrong with description of Asians, PQ leader maintains[/h4]
Parti Quebecois leader Andre Boisclair yesterday refused to retract or apologize for saying that when he was a student at Harvard University he was surprised to see so many students "with slant-ing eyes."[/p]Despite calls for an apology from two minority groups that said they found the remark offensive, Boisclair said he has been using the expression - in French - for years and, in his mind, he said nothing wrong.[/p]He said he is not about to start playing games of semantics with reporters, either.[/p]
The closest he came to recognizing there might be a problem with the term "les yeux brides" was to note he did not say it in English, where it might have a different meaning.[/p]"I regularly, frequently use this expression and have absolutely no intention of apologizing," Boisclair said at a news conference where he was informed that an anti-racism group had demanded he retract his words.[/p]"Maybe there's a nuance between the word in French and the word in English, but no way will I excuse myself. These people (of Asian origin) are a source of amazement for me. I've been to Japan. They were my friends, my colleagues."[/p]Full Story:[/p][a href="http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=834fdb7c-d65b-41b4-8a65-689c13df3572&k=37587"]http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=834fdb7c-d65b-41b4-8a65-689c13df3572&k=37587[/a]

Hahaha

Totally racist, and that's the future of Quebec?  Scary thought!

Adam_Fulford

This is not the first time that a PQ leaders have expressed bigoted or insensitive sentiments against Jewish people, against "foreigners" (immigrants), and now towards Asians. The PQ seems to be so engrossed in their victimhood that they have difficulty in having sensitivity and respect towards others.

Hahaha2

Adam_Fulford wrote:
This is not the first time that a PQ leaders have expressed bigoted or insensitive sentiments against Jewish people, against "foreigners" (immigrants), and now towards Asians. The PQ seems to be so engrossed in their victimhood that they have difficulty in having sensitivity and respect towards others.

I remember when they blamed the loss of the 1995 referendum on those "darned immigrants."

Marik

hmm reminds me of South Park (boy that's a funny but racist show)  

Lise

I'm not sure if South Park is racist. It does make many commentaries on today's society.... but racist? Doubt it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

South Park is un-PC but the funny thing is that they do have political leanings. Both of the creators are republicans.  

purelife

I don't think that the remark "slanting eyes" is so terrible.  It's true anyways.  It's not like he used the word "ch*nk" or something.    

Sportsdude

how do asians have slanting eyes? Everyone has the same eye shape never got the whole stereo type.  

Lil Me

purelife wrote:
I don't think that the remark "slanting eyes" is so terrible.  It's true anyways.  It's not like he used the word "ch*nk" or something.    
 --

I've been thinking the EXACT same thing all week, purelife.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein