A real good question

Started by DV Dork, Feb 07 06 04:44

Previous topic - Next topic

DV Dork

Posted on DV:
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][img]http://discovervancouver.com/forum/icon_posticon.gif" alt="" title="" border="0" height="15" hspace="3" width="15"][font size="1"]Posted - 2/7/2006 3:49:05 PM[/font]Um, why doesn't DV just switch to a real bulletin board system that doesn't not allow handle hijacking? just wondering....
[/font][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
LOL, now that's damn good question. Maybe the [/font][font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]owners of [/font][font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]DV should hire the admin here to help them get their heads out of their asses.

I mean, it took him a few days to get this new board up and the kinks worked out, right? But the admins on DV have been farting around like a bunch of retarded monkeys for months and not a thing has changed. I guess the DV admins aren't very competent or they just don't care. How embarrassing. If I could post on DV I'd tell them to come here and see what a REAL message board is like. If they only knew...
[/font]

Lise

I agree, the Admin here rocks ass. He's beyond coolness. As for the owners of DV.... well, that's another story.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Good Times

[FONT face=Verdana]Agreed with almost all of your points. However I'd like to clarify the following:[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV]> [FONT face=Verdana]it took him a few days [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana]I know you're saying it casually but a "few days" is an overstatement: There was barely 72 hours between the time I created my technical thread titled "what this board needs" in the old forum and the creation and successful launching of this new bulletin board. [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana]I was amazed. Admin here must be a very skilled and competent dude. Haven't seen anyone who could get things up and running this fast before. Honest! [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana]> the admins on DV have been farting around like a bunch of retarded monkeys for [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]months [/SPAN]and not a thing has changed. [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana]"Months" is an understatement.[/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana]What most people don't know is that I've been around DV for at least 5 years... I know their history, I know how the board evolved, how the clique of tyrant mods have slowly taken over the place, and all about the powertripping that goes in that cesspool... [/FONT][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [FONT face=Verdana]Hear this: They've been talking about making the transition to a board with registered names for the past 5 years, not months. [/FONT][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [FONT face=Verdana]They always have some lame excuse: Maybe this summer, oops didn't happen maybe this fall then, no how about next winter early next year... and on and on it goes. [/FONT][FONT face=Verdana][/FONT] [FONT face=Verdana]They operate on a "mañana" schedule - it's always going to be sometime "tomorrow", but it's a tomorrow that never comes.[/FONT]  

tenkani

Just a note, there is a difference between the mods and the DV tech people. The mods have nothing to do with the technical end of DV. Also, the mods are people. Some power trip and some don't. I've seen mods delete posts I considered fine, and I've seen mods leave posts alone that most folks would probably agree needed to be removed.

If you hand responsibility to a random sampling of human beings, there will always be some who will use that opportunity to pursue their own personal agendas and use their newfound power to subjugate others. The problem is, moderating is often done from a position of complete anonymity. One moment a thread is there, the next it is gone, often with no explanation. Then again, some mods will sit and calmly discuss why they deleted something and/or give warnings before any action is taken.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

DV Dork

[font face="Verdana" size="2"]Hear this: They've been talking about making the transition to a board with registered names for the past 5 years, not months. [/font] [hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Now I may be wrong, but didn't somebody on DV once mention what kind of forum software they used, and they said it actually had user registration already built in, all they (DV) had to do was turn it on? I remember this pretty clearly but I don't recall who said it.

Third

When they changed the RichTextEditor they tried to implement a registration.

Does anybody remember? They put a login on the RictextEditor for a couple of days then took it off again.

I was never really sure what happened.

Good Times

I agree completely with your points and observations, tenkani.

I believe lack of accountability has been the primary fuel for all the self righteousness that takes place on DV.

As much as I can see the difference (functionalitywise) I don't really distinguish much between the techies and mods on DV, as they both act equally retarded, arrogant, and totally disrespecful.

Here's another very relevant quote I wrote in the old from:

-- start quote -- I've long been a critic of all the powertripping, absolute tyranny, and dictatorship on that board. DV is what you get when you

- give someone the ultimate authority to do whatever they please
- while asking them to function in a language they don't fully comprehend,
- and take away any shred of accountability for their actions

That's when you end up with an extremely dysfunctional place characterized by constant stifling of expression...

-- end quote --

Third

You think the DV mods are bad? You should deal with my webhosts technical support sometime.

lol. Sometimes I swear they're just f**kin' with me.

Webhost Technical Support

You think the DV mods are bad? You should deal with my webhosts technical support sometime.

lol. Sometimes I swear they're just f**kin' with me.

Dear Sir,

Yes, sometimes we are just f**kin' with you. Ha ha!

-Webhost Technical Support Department

Third

I have the patience of a saint so it's all good in the hood.

Go in peace, brutha.

Sportsdude

cuz i think dv is poor.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Good Times

[FONT size=2][FONT size=3]> Now I may be wrong, but didn't somebody on DV once mention what kind of forum software they used, and they said it actually [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]had [/SPAN]user registration already built in, all they (DV) had to do was turn it on? I remember this pretty clearly but I don't recall who said it. [/FONT]
[/FONT][/DIV]They use Snitz for their forum software and yes, that person was correct: Snitz comes with user reg feature.

All they had to do for 5 years was to bring up the configuration panel and activate that feature. That's it.  Lazy fuks. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/boese/k026.gif" border=0]    

myname

All they had to do for 5 years was to bring up the configuration panel and activate that feature. That's it.

well that sounds rilly rilly complicated, doesn't it

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Future Canadian

I was reading the Wikipedia entry for internet troll the other day. In one section they spoke of the "troll community" and can trolls ever from a true community etc. Today it hit me, DV is a troll community! They can all gather there unfettered, harrass everyone, push the troll boundaries, and so on.[/DIV]DV is such a nasty place to be anymore. Surely not as much fun as a year ago when I fully discovered the fun of message boards through DV.Long live DS!
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others