Who has been smiting me and why?

Started by greycat, Mar 11 07 09:39

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Orik

Adam_Fulford wrote:
greycat wrote:
What is up with that?  

You're upset over paltry three smites?  Hell, I couldn't care less about the dozens of smites I've received (though they do seem to have brought me a lot of good luck).

Greycat had over 38 smites at last count ... teh boss seems to have reset those smites...

adam you are speaking outa ur ass this time...  perhaps read the whole thread...

and Raging Poodle you know you really are starting to sound like a pompous ass...

okay ive said my 2 cents

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Moolah!

Orik wrote:

Greycat had over 38 smites at last count ... teh boss seems to have reset those smites...

adam you are speaking outa ur ass this time...  perhaps read the whole thread...

and Raging Poodle you know you really are starting to sound like a pompous ass...

okay ive said my 2 cents

Ha ha! Dude, just because you can't freely troll on DV nowadays doesn't mean you should take it up over here. [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_big.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:
Thanks for responding Bork. I didn't know if you were around today...

I wasn't around for much of the day. Lots of stuff to do here and there.

[strong style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal;"]I can only speak for myself, and to me it would indicate that whomever is holding some sort of a cybergrudge (my new term [/b][a  onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_big.gif')" href="jvascript:void%280%29"][/a][span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal;"]) [/span][br style="font-weight: normal;"] [/p] [span style="font-weight: normal;"]TheAngel pissed a lot of people off and got hammered for it. The End. Nothing mysterious about it as near as I can tell, she just went out of her way to rub a lot of people the worngway. And surprise, surprise, she paid for it.  It's not like at her school where she can just wiggle her ass and get away with bad behavior. [/span][br style="font-weight: normal;"] [/p]
 A silly +/- score is hardly a consequence of any sort in my view.

Well now, wait a minute- you just said that you knew people who'd left here for that very reason....so someone must think of it as a consequence and attach some importance to it, no? Maybe not you, but clearly someone considers it significant.

I'd say many trolls would gladly have -10,000 or whichever the maximum is, so they can keep on with their anti social behaviour.

Mmmm, no...they'd be dumped long before they got there.
 [strong style="font-weight: normal;"]
[/b]  My premise is that the underlying software itself can be better designed to prevent any possible misuse of its functions.  So my comment is more of a perspective on software design. I'm thinking of passing these on to the developer team for consideration.

All that stuff is already in there. You can selectively allow or disallow virtually every aspect of the way the board works. Yes, you can make posts non-editable. Yes, you can make karma non-repeatable, etc etc etc. All those features are already there, but feel free to suggest them to the developers again if you like.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

FallenA.n.g.e.l.

TehBorken wrote:
 Raging Poodle! wrote:
Thanks for responding Bork. I didn't know if you were around today...

I wasn't around for much of the day. Lots of stuff to do here and there.

[strong style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal;"]I can only speak for myself, and to me it would indicate that whomever is holding some sort of a cybergrudge (my new term [/b][a  onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_big.gif')" href="jvascript:void%280%29"][/a][span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal;"]) [/span][br style="font-weight: normal;"] [/p] [span style="font-weight: normal;"]TheAngel pissed a lot of people off and got hammered for it. The End. Nothing mysterious about it as near as I can tell, she just went out of her way to rub a lot of people the worngway. And surprise, surprise, she paid for it. [/span][span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"][/span][span style="color: rgb(96, 0, 191); font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]It's not like at her school where she can just wiggle her ass and get away with bad behavior.[/span][/p]
[/b][span style="font-weight: normal;"]I take offense to this comment, Mr. Borken.

Never been one to try and use my looks to get away with anything - though I could.

I prefer instead to employ reason and logic.

Thank you, that is all.

[/span]

FallenAngel. =)

TehBorken

FallenA.n.g.e.l. wrote:
[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"][/span][strong style="font-weight: bold;"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]I take offense to this comment, Mr. Borken.

What's your point?

Never been one to try and use my looks to get away with anything - though I could.

Lol, you are so full of crap. (The "[/span][/b][strong style="font-weight: bold;"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]though I could" part is what gave you away, because the only people who feel the need to add a qualifier like that are the ones who do exactly that to get away with shit.)   [/span][/b]
 [strong style="font-weight: bold;"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]

I prefer instead to employ reason and logic.

The same way I prefer to leap tall buildings in a single bound instead of driving to the store.
 [/span][/b]

Devil

There is sure a lot of whining about the smite/blessings. It is a forum...how serious do you take it?

the smite/blessings are all in fun. Maybe TehBorken should email some kleenex if your smite level gets too high?  

greycat

It is what it is.

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:  [span style="font-weight: normal; font-style: italic;"]Then the smite/bless system can be turned on or off by the webmaster, but it would be up to individual members to opt in or out of it[/span][br style="font-weight: normal;"][br style="font-weight: normal;"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]Then it would be pointless [/span][span style="font-weight: normal;"]since it would completely negate the whole reason for having it in the first place. [/span][span style="font-weight: normal;"]Think about it for a moment. Why bother even having it if it's optional on a self-selected, per-user basis? It's like saying you want to opt out of getting speeding tickets. [/span]

Russ

Im fine with teh Karma/ Smite system.

seriously.

Its kinda funny to be able to 'bless' somebody.

smites have a place as well. If your smite score slowly goes up.. theres a reason for it. There also needs to be a counteract to the blesses.

Mine went up.. lol, so there must have been a reason for it right? I just took it as a hint. Whatever.. if this annoys you then you need to grow thicker skin.. this is the internet, not everyones your friend.

I agree with TB, he shouldnt have to deal with a plethora of questions. Although I myself do appreciate some of the explanations that he gives, and responses to questions. I do agree with him on one point though, this isnt a democracy here.. its his website and his rules. I dont have any problems with them or the way he applies them. If I did.. I would move on
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Moolah!

TehBorken wrote:
  Raging Poodle! wrote:   [SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: italic"]Then the smite/bless system can be turned on or off by the webmaster, but it would be up to individual members to opt in or out of it[/SPAN][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]Then it would be pointless [/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]since it would completely negate the whole reason for having it in the first place. [/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]Think about it for a moment. Why bother even having it if it's optional on a self-selected, per-user basis? [/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"][/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]What I had in mind when I wrote that suggestion was along the lines of what I've seen on some sites where if you decide to put your picture on your profile, you can also decide whether you want it to be rated by other members. You can turn off the rating system (which in many ways is similar to the bless/smite system) if you couldn't care less about people's opinion of whether you're a 3 or a 9.[/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]> It's like saying you want to opt out of getting speeding tickets. [/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]I know you came up with that analogy at the spur of the moment, but if we were to apply it to what's happening here, it would be the equivalent of cops chasing you for the next 5-12 weeks after you get your first ticket, even if you're no longer speeding and have already paid your ticket. [/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]They chase you as soon as you get out of your house, and keep writing more and more and more tickets because of that one infraction...[/SPAN]

(In Adam Fulford's case cops must've been chasing him for the whole year - if it's been that long since he registered, because as soon as he says ANYTHING, he gets smitten.)

And to me, that's absurd.

Moolah!

Russ wrote:
 Its kinda funny to be able to 'bless' somebody.

Actually I believe due the word's religious connotation, the developers have changed that to "applause" in the latest release of the software.

> I dont have any problems with them or the way he applies them. If I did.. I would move on

Same here. [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]

Moolah!

TehBorken wrote:

[SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]A silly +/- score is hardly a consequence of any sort in my view.[/SPAN]

Well now, wait a minute- you just said that you knew people who'd left here for that very reason....so someone must think of it as a consequence and attach some importance to it, no? Maybe not you, but clearly someone considers it significant.    I agree. To some people it probably means something, otherwise they wouldn't have gone as far as deleting their account so as to relieve their conscience of the burden of having a negative smite score on an obscure bulletin board.

But the fact that some people are bothered by this opens up another can of worms in my view:

Whereas on DV you have one extreme where chaos reigns supreme and gross injustices are committed on a daily basis in the form of unfair deletions, IP bans, nickname bans, favorite trolls being given protection by mods, etc.

On the opposite far end of the spectrum you have DS where you end up with a bunch of people always sticking together, tiptoeing around each other, ever so afraid of voicing a dissenting opinion lest they be smitten by obsessed hamsters for the next 2-3 months.

There's got to be a middle ground somewhere.

Adam_Fulford

Orik wrote:

How did you know about my magic donkey?

Raging Poodle has a donkey too?
[img]file:///I:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg" alt=""]

tenkani

a bunch of people always sticking together, tiptoeing around each other, ever so afraid of voicing a dissenting opinion lest they be smitten by obsessed hamsters for the next 2-3 months.

[span style="font-weight: normal;"]LOL[/span]

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:
There's got to be a middle ground somewhere.

I'm open to suggestions.  Frankly, I think there are always going to be trade-offs, no matter what is or isn't implemented in terms of policy or options.

|