Who has been smiting me and why?

Started by greycat, Mar 11 07 09:39

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Robert O'Mailey

Nope. Just itchy fingers better suited for fingering elsewhere.

Sportsdude

great now my smite total went up.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Moolah!

If one member's score is adjusted, why isn't others'?

At least in her case someone took the time to demonstrate to her, by quoting her past trollish messages, why people were smiting her.

However that's an exception. In most cases people are totally clueless as to why someone is smiting or blessing them.

Can't remember when but last I saw Gray Cat's smite score was somewhere in the mid 30s range.  I don't know if her words deserved 30 plus smites but, why isn't other member's smite scores being reduced by 30some points?

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Moolah!

The software used on this board may not be designed to function this way but what I'd like to see is, if an admin adjusts either their own or a member's score, EVERYONE's score should be affected in the same way: ie. give yourself 10 blesses, everyone gets 10 blesses. Automatically.

Otherwise manually adjusting either one's own or another member's score without its' being reflected on other's score, appears like a form of powertripping.

P.C.

I think the answer to that is.....if a persons high smite total is a result of smiting from across the board, it may be considered that it is earned.  It's different than someones smite total getting beat up from one person where it may be considered a vendetta.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

.......and we can not bless ourselves.

tenkani

Hehe, it's such a mystery!

I lay awake at night wondering who gave Adam all those smites!    

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Moolah!

P.C. wrote:
 I think the answer to that is.....if a persons high smite total is a result of smiting from across the board, it may be considered that it is earned.  It's different than someones smite total getting beat up from one person where it may be considered a vendetta.

And who can prove that whether it's a vendetta, or coming from multiple fake accounts operating through proxies?

I know people who've deleted their account and left DS just because of that stupid score. They felt that inherently the system was being unfair to them.

That's why I'm advocating the "equivalent of no intervention" policy. From day one, either no one gets to fiddle with those scores, including the admins, or whenever an adjustment is made it gets reflected across the board.

P.C.

And I know someone who maintained a -2 smite for a year, until last week.  Go figure.

Only the magic 8 Ball knows for sure.

Moolah!

This is more for the software developer so I'm just using this thread to articulate my thoughts: Another useful approach to this "smite dilemna" could be to give the members the option to choose whether they want to be voted or not.

Then the smite/bless system can be turned on or off by the webmaster, but it would be up to individual members to opt in or out of it, much like they can choose if they want to view other members' pictures, usernotes, etc.

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:  [span style="font-weight: normal;"]I know people who've deleted their account and left DS just because of that stupid score. [/span]

[span style="font-weight: normal;"]Tell TehAngel that that's what happens when you act like an ass- [/span][span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal;"]people smite you. [/span][span style="font-weight: normal;"]That's how Karma works. I reduced her karma once and it went back up. Shouldn't that tell her something?[/span][span style="font-weight: normal;"][/span]

They felt that inherently the system was being unfair to them.

Or they just weren't used to dealing with the consequences of their actions.

That's why I'm advocating the "equivalent of no intervention" policy. From day one, either no one gets to fiddle with those scores, including the admins, or whenever an adjustment is made it gets reflected across the board.

Raging Poodle, you keep confusing this place with some sort of Democracy. It's not, never has been, and never will be. That said, the fact is that I rarely fiddle with the karma ratings- I have better thiings to do. But, on occasion, I will adjust them. I'm not going to apologize for it and I'm also not going to seek a consensus on something like that.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Moolah!

Sportsdude wrote:
great now my smite total went up.  
   There will always be a retarded loser registered under multiple nicknames (so they won't have to wait for the whole hour) sitting by their computer all day long and smiting away at someone because the person dared uttered a word they didn't like.

That's why I'd be interested in seeing the system either abolished or reformed so it can not be abused the way it is right now.

Sometimes I'm gone for a few days or even weeks, so I'm not even writing on here, and when I come back I see that the idiot(s) have been at it, smiting away like a rat in a psychology experiment.

Adam_Fulford

greycat wrote:
What is up with that?  

You're upset over paltry three smites?  Hell, I couldn't care less about the dozens of smites I've received (though they do seem to have brought me a lot of good luck).

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:
Sometimes I'm gone for a few days or even weeks, so I'm not even writing on here, and when I come back I see that the idiot(s) have been at it, smiting away like a rat in a psychology experiment.

Wear it like a badge of honor.  If it gets bad enough I'll make an adjustment.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Moolah!

Thanks for responding Bork. I didn't know if you were around today...

>I reduced her karma once and it went back up. Shouldn't that tell her [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]something[/SPAN]?

I can only speak for myself, and to me it would indicate that whomever is holding some sort of a cybergrudge (my new term [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_big.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]) isn't over it yet so they keep smiting thinking it's going to get them somewhere.

> Or they just weren't used to dealing with the [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]consequences[/SPAN] of their [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]actions[/SPAN].

A silly +/- score is hardly a consequence of any sort in my view.

I'd say many trolls would gladly have -10,000 or whichever the maximum is, so they can keep on with their anti social behaviour.

> Raging Poodle, you keep confusing this place with some sort of Democracy. It's not, never has been, and never will be. That said, the fact is that I rarely fiddle with the karma ratings- I have better thiings to do. But, on occasion, I [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]will [/SPAN]adjust them. I'm not going to apologize for it and I'm also not going to seek a consensus on something like that.

I see no need to seek consensus or apologize for it either.
  My premise is that the underlying software itself can be better designed to prevent any possible misuse of its functions.

So my comment is more of a perspective on software design. I'm thinking of passing these on to the developer team for consideration. [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]          

|