Spielberg plans Tintin movie

Started by kingy, Mar 10 07 10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

kingy

Hollywood moviemaker Steven Spielberg is to bring cartoon hero Tintin and pals Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus to life in a live action feature film, industry sources said Friday.

The maker of E.T: The Extra Terrestrial, Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark will re-enact the adventures the intrepid young reporter for Universal Pictures and his own production firm, DreamWorks Pictures.

"The project will definitely go ahead, we are just waiting for a deal on the rights to Tintin to be finalised," an industry source told AFP.

Spielberg and producing partner Kathleen Kennedy are negotiating for the rights to the character, created by Belgian cartoonist Herge in 1929, with the firm that holds them, Moulinsart.

The internationally-read comic strip Tintin has developed something of a cult following over the years, keeping sales of the books featuring the youth reporter and his partners in adventure strong.[BR clear=all]

Drunken Captain Haddock - who utters strings of exclamatory curses like "billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles - Professor Cuthbert Calculus, the investigator twins Thomson and Thompson and Tintin's faithful little dog Snowy are all expected to feature in the film.

Tintin, whose author's real name was Georges Remi, was first published in a weekly supplement of the Belgian newspaper Le Vingtieme Siecle and has been translated into more than 50 languages.

Several animated films of the cowlick-sporting reporter have already been made, but Hollywood has yet to try a live action film version.

Lil Me

and Snowy the dog will also appear, yes?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Saweet! These comics, Tom n Jerry, and Astro Boy is what I was weened on..
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Marik

Uh oh... he'd better not screw up this movie Uwe Boll - style. I'm a fan of Tintin ..  

P.C.

I'd go see that for sure.  My son couldn't get enough of those comics.....they're great!   I think he has them all.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Woohoo!!! I love Tintin. I used to read them when I was in highschool. Good times.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Several animated films of the cowlick-sporting reporter have already been made, but Hollywood has yet to try a live action film version.

Actually, the article is wrong. There have already been 2 Belgian movies made on Tintin. They became albums. Very bad. No doubt Speilberg will do better.

[img style="width: 368px; height: 514px;" src="http://www.free-tintin.net/dessins/toison_g.jpg[/img]

Lise

Wow. Tintin looks gay in that.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Lol, actually a lot of alternative comics do make fun of Tintin in French on various issues, including the fact that no woman ever appeared in the album before the Castafiore and her maid. One exception, the young teenage girl in Tintin and the Shark Lake (my translation), which was a cartoon made for Cinema before becoming an album.

pitbullca.bc

I think that it would be fun!  We have so many options in this day and age!  Asterix would be another fun one!

Michel

Astérix movie ? There are already 2 that has been made. Gerard Depardieu played Obélix. A 3rd one will be release soon, and a Québécois comedian plays in it (Stéphane Rousseau).

pitbullca.bc

LOL...and I have seen none of them!

Michel

Me neither lol.

I'm not even sure these movies have been distributed outside Québec in North America.

Here I googgle that for you if you're ever interested to rent them (if possible where you live) :

[A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_films_%28live%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_films_%28live%29[/A]  

Lise

Michel wrote:
Astérix movie ? There are already 2 that has been made. Gerard Depardieu played Obélix. A 3rd one will be release soon, and a Québécois comedian plays in it (Stéphane Rousseau).[/DIV]
     Oh really? That's mighty interesting. I gather it's in French?
Bill Cosby.

Michel

The 2 first movies have been great hits all over Europe according to Wikipedia, so I assumed that various version do exist, including in English.