Cleaning up Nursery Rhymes and Children's Stories

Started by Lise, Mar 07 07 01:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Here's what I don't understand. I'm reading a nursery rhyme book to Lise Jr. when I came across the word 'pussy' as in 'Ding Dong Bell, pussy in the well etc etc etc. ' and found to my surprise, they removed the word 'pussy' and replaced it with cat.

Not just that but the word 'pussycat' from 'Pussycat, pussycat where have you been?' has been replaced as well.

Sheesh.

In the 'Three Little Kittens who lost their mittens', the rhyme's supposed to say that the mother scolds them for losing the mittens so they won't be having any pie. The rhyme I got shows the mother saying that it's ok and don't be crying because she'll give them pies anyways.

Bedtime stories are the worst. As I grew up reading fairytales, I was quite miffed when I read about the Little Mermaid who look just like Ariel in Disney. And no, she didn't die in the end but ended up marrying the Prince. In the Frog and the Princess, she didn't even stooped down to kiss the frog (heaven forbid women who kiss amphibians) so he magically changes into a Prince after she tossed him from her hand. (not her bed).

And don't even get me started on Little Red Riding Hood. Apparently there's something sexual between a red cloak and a big, bad Wolf.

I do understand that stories and nursery rhymes go through many evolution (the older version of fairytales were understandly quite dark) but when you 'whitewash' too many stories, you tend to lose the gist of it and that's where the magic lies.

Just my two cents.

[img style="WIDTH: 175px; HEIGHT: 181px" height=357 src="http://i15.tinypic.com/47tbw9l.jpg" width=260]  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

TehBorken

It's the Tyranny Of The Politically Correct.

It's really funny, because by removing "pussy" and replacing it with "cat", they've actually made "pussy" into a 'bad word'...because it was removed! It's sooooo idiotic.

It's like the TV stations not showing Bugs Bunny or Roadrunner cartoons because they're so "violent". What a joke. It's okay to bomb Iraq into rubble and show it on the news every single night, but Roadrunner cartoons are somehow too violent to be shown.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TheAngel

[span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"] I prefer the cartoons & stories we had as children as opposed to what children today are exposed to.[/span][br style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"][br style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"][span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"]Ah the days of non-political correctness..[/span][br style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"][br style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"][span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"]I don't know why they would dumb-down such things for the children today and yet at the [/span][span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"]same[/span][span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"] time, expose them to even worse things than we saw as kids...does not make very much sense.[/span]

tenkani

Yup!

Those rough and ready Care Bears didn't give a shit who they offended!!
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TheAngel

[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 127);"]AWWWWW tüüüüüüüüü baaaad.

NOT

[/span]  

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

TheAngel

[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 255);"]LOL Lil Me,[/span][br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 255);"][br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 255);"][span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 255);"]Now we're talkin ;)[/span]

tenkani

P.S. re-writing fairy tales and changing the entire plotline so as not to "scar" kids is a disgrace.

Who's doing this re-writing?? And what makes their interpretations more valid than the original authors?? And if you want to re-write something start with the bible for shit's sake!!

Do you know how much smiting and incest and various atrocities are in that book???

And people encourage their children to read it!

LOL. A politically correct bible would be great.

"Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; / But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained kittens and jellybeans from heaven, and so did they rejoice and the care bears did come forth from the woods and make merry."        
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Russ

thats crap. Im glad we have all the good old origional nursery ryhmes from when my brother and I were kids.. Fawk this Politically Correct crap.

You know the most racist thing around that really shows that the pendulum has gone too far? Equality hiring where they take the minority with LOWER STANDARDS than the so called majority that meets the required standards. I laughed my ass off at the story in the papers where people were complaining that only 8% of the firefighters in Richmond were minority.. you know why they were hired? They were there first.. and they met the requirements. I dont know about everyone else, but I want people hired into jobs that have the requirements or better.. thats my safety being toyed with. Same with the police, ambulance etc.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

TheAngel

[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 64, 159);"]Who cares what race they are?
[br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 64, 159);"][/span][span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 64, 159);"]May the best person win.[/span]

Russ

TheAngel wrote:
[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(255,64,159)"]Who cares what race they are?
[BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(255,64,159)"][/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(255,64,159)"]May the best person win.[/SPAN]

Thats my point angel.. the best qualified person should get the job. Not someone that is getting it because they are a racial minority. THATS racist in itself.

TheAngel

Gotta pander to everyone if you wanna get the votes.    

At least that's the way it's been since the Liberals circa 1983..

Russ

Its crap though. Its being racist... by the definition of equality and racism.

I understand why they do it.. I just think its BS.

Yaargh!!

ah, goats.

TheAngel

then you won't want to read...

this!

[a href="http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/Charter/index.html"]http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/Charter/index.html[/a]

lol

TheAngel

If you want to change the way things are Russ, get up and do it. :)

Nothing's impossible!